F150 6R80 Thermal Bypass Valve

Interested to hear what you guys think about this. He's saying drain/fill at IIRC 30k 60k etc.. over a full fluid exchange due to the thermal bypass valve in this trans.

Relevant to me as I am about to do a service on my 2015 F150 6R80. I did a drain/fill and filter replacement at 30k. I'm at 60k and this has me thinking, maybe overthinking!!

I drain 7 quarts from my 6R-80 and refill (2009 F150) and have discovered that the OEM fluid is the only way to go. I tried the Valvoline equivalent and it was not a smart choice. Ended up doing a number of changes to get that stuff out of the trans. Much better.

drain and fill every 50k for normal use and every 30k for heavy frequent towing. that's the formula many transmission and heavy equipment service centers go by. you follow that and you wont have any problem due to lack of maintenance.

I did a drain and refill at 30K based on that video on my 2014 Mustang GT. I also changed the filter. Prior to changing the fluid, I had bought a new Ford transmission pan and had a drain plug welded in the bottom of it so future drains and refills would be easier and less messy. I also bought an aftermarket dipstick tube that goes up into my engine compartment to make checking the fluid a lot easier as well.

Back