F1 - 2019 Monaco Grand Prix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by newbe46
If it was a year ago, Max would have taken Hamilton and himself out of the race. He had a 5 seconds penalty and old tires, just stay behind an collect the points instead of driving like a douche.

I believe the Red Bull team's thinking was try and pass Hamilton and with Hamilton's fading tires, Max could pull away, at least enough to build a gap to offset his 5-second penalty and get somewhere on the podium. Not sure how hard Hamilton would push. Of course, he doesn't have to pass him, just keep a less-than 5-second gap.

Anyone who would have gotten by would have probably gotten a good shot at creating a gap. That does say something about passing at Monaco when Max can't get through, but we already knew that going in.

Originally Posted by Garak
Anyone who would have gotten by would have probably gotten a good shot at creating a gap. That does say something about passing at Monaco when Max can't get through, but we already knew that going in.

And we all know what's going to happen if Max failed to overtake cleanly. I agree he has some raw speed but his race craft left something for desire.

Oh yes, like I suggested, I'm sure there would have been a red flag. Had the touch been harder at the chicane, they would have likely bottle necked, the red flag would be waved, they'd be counting back, and he would have been nowhere ahead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back