F1 - 2018 Monaco Grand Prix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Outwardly probably a boring looking race, but the strategy calls had some interesting potential. Monaco is always a bit of a procession (provided you have tyres ready when you come in for them).

I was pretty dark around lap 18, but things seemed to tootle on nicely. That's 5 out of 6 weekends Crashstappen has held his end of the bargain up. Apparently last race where he developed a second hand front wing didn't count as both he and his victim finished the race. Still, his reputedly inferior team mate now has more than double his points.

I Loved Hamiltons pre-race interview. "We don't have to be fast in Monaco because we're fast everywhere else". Relatively accurate, but still a [censored].

Originally Posted By: Brad_C
I Loved Hamiltons pre-race interview. "We don't have to be fast in Monaco because we're fast everywhere else". Relatively accurate, but still a [censored].

Yes, he did speak the truth, and that truth is what cost Verstappen so many points. RB were fast at Monaco, and he decided not to make the most out of that.

Generally speaking, Monaco can be boring, but people want tracks where mistakes get punished, so here you go.

Crashstappen has held his end of the bargain up. Apparently last race where he developed a second hand front wing didn't count as both he and his victim finished the race. Still, his reputedly inferior team mate now has more than double his points.

I'm starting to doubt if Verstappen is going to have the career everyone first predicted he would. He has had more than enough time to "mature" in the car. Yet he appears to be just as reckless as ever. And I don't think that is something the team, or himself for that matter, can change. It's the way his blood runs. And it doesn't make for consistent results to say the least.

One race he puts on a show that could almost make Senna or Schumacher look amateurish. The next he does something stupid and takes himself out. Usually along with wrecking someone else's race. I just don't see this guy ever becoming a World Driving Champion with his current "driving style".

He is too wild, and lacking far too much discipline. I don't care for Hamilton at all. But I'll be the first to admit he is not only consistent, but maintains control of himself, and his car in a manner Verstappen could certainly take a few lessons from.

Originally Posted By: billt460

I'm starting to doubt if Verstappen is going to have the career everyone first predicted he would. He has had more than enough time to "mature" in the car. Yet he appears to be just as reckless as ever. And I don't think that is something the team, or himself for that matter, can change. It's the way his blood runs. And it doesn't make for consistent results to say the least.

There is no denying he's got talent. I keep wondering if he'll ever grow up, and ultimately I think he will. The question is, will it happen before his team has had enough?

No doubt he makes things interesting, but for a team at the moment he's not pulling hard enough to be even a credible number 2 driver.

I keep wondering if he'll ever grow up, and ultimately I think he will. The question is, will it happen before his team has had enough?

If Red Bull dumps him, his career will go down the tubes. Sure, he'll find another ride. But it won't be with a team that will give him a car that will allow him to become a WDC. He's quickly proving he'll never be one with a team that is currently giving him that. Ricciardo could very well end up at either Mercedes or Ferrari. (Bottas isn't performing, and Kimi is getting too old). Neither of those teams would want Verstappen near their cars. They could accomplish the same thing by letting them fall off the transporter.

Originally Posted By: billt460
One race he puts on a show that could almost make Senna or Schumacher look amateurish. The next he does something stupid and takes himself out.

This, exactly. His only hope is a season where many guys are close on the points, a season like 1982 where Keke Rosberg only had one win and still became champion. That's not realistic in the current climate, though.

Riccardio is Red Bull's best chance. Now, I don't buy into all the hype that was made about how he beat Vettel when they were together, given that it was one season with one car that didn't suit a demotivated Vettel. On the other hand, what should be noted is that Riccardio makes the most of the car and every opportunity, no matter how low the power or the odds are. And, if anyone had a reason to be demotivated, it would be Daniel.

As for Verstappen's fate if he were to get dumped, he had better ensure he gets himself some sponsorship. As you point out, Ferrari and Merc would never take him. He's the poster child for why Ferrari insists on mature drivers. His hopes would rely on sponsorship or perhaps Renault, or maybe McLaren or Williams wanting name recognition, but that's a stretch.

As it is, he's going to have to modify his behaviour and quit buying the media and handler hype he's been getting. Now that the media seems to have turned on him, he might finally have some incentive.

It's amazing what media tweaking in F1 can accomplish, to say the least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back