Practice 1 04:00 - 05:30
Practice 2 08:00 - 09:30

Sat 19 July 2014
Practice 3 05:00 - 06:00
Qualifying 08:00

Sun 20 July 2014
Race 08:00

US TV Schedule:
Friday, July 18 - 2:30 p.m. -- German Grand Prix - Practice #2 (NBCSN)
Saturday, July 19 - 8:00 a.m. -- German Grand Prix - Qualifying (CNBC)
Sunday, July 20 - 7:30 a.m. -- German Grand Prix - Race (CNBC)

CIRCUIT INFO:

Lap data
Lap length 4.574km (2.842 miles)
Race laps 67
Race distance 306.458km (190.424 miles)
Pole position Left-hand side of the track
Lap record* 1’13.780 (223.182 kph) by Kimi Raikkonen, 2004
Fastest lap 1’13.306 (224.626 kph) by Michael Schumacher, 2004
DRS zone/s (race) Straight leading to Spitzkehre hairpin

Car performance
Full throttle 71%
Downforce level Medium
Gear changes per lap 46
Fuel use per lap 2.3kg

Strategy
Pit lane time loss 17 seconds
2012 prime tyre: Medium
2012 option tyre: Soft

*Fastest lap set during a Grand Prix

Data sources: FIA, Williams, Mercedes

hockenheimring_2012.jpg

lotu-gros-hock-2012-6.jpg

Hat tip to A2 on S2Ki for the content.

The best broadcast by far to watch any F1 race if you can get it is the UK based Sky SPORT F1 HD.

I watched a tape of the British GP and commentary is by Martin Brindle. There are no commercial interruptions and the post race (not to mention the post practice and qualy) analysis including highlights is almost as long as the race!

If you're into European racing this is the broadcast to get.

Decent race. There's no doubt in my mind Hamilton is the better driver for Merc. Despite bad luck in several races he can always turn in faster laps than Nico under harder circumstances.

I was upset that freakin' Massa came across on Magnussen and effectively took him out. I'm anxious for he and McLaren to do well. At least Mag was able to come back to a points position.

What a battle between Riccardo and Alonso. That was great racing!

Far bet it for me to come to Lewis Hamilton's defence, Trav, I do think he has matured immeasurably in the last few years. Three and four years ago, I felt exactly the same way about him, and it was nice, in my view, to see the stewards penalize him for every little transgression.

He seems to have gained a fair bit of humility in the interim. He has been rattled a few times this year, though.

And Niki is right. Bernie has been good with marketing all along, and the technology of broadcasting. The standard model of television providers is dying, and he should be on the cutting edge of the new technology, including allowing for streaming services, and more than just a timing app for those who deal with smart phones.

You'd be in a better position to answer this question than many others here, Trav. Is the spectacle exceedingly expensive in Germany, as opposed to other European races that Germans may also choose to attend?

Originally Posted By: Garak
Far bet it for me to come to Lewis Hamilton's defence, Trav, I do think he has matured immeasurably in the last few years. Three and four years ago, I felt exactly the same way about him, and it was nice, in my view, to see the stewards penalize him for every little transgression.

He seems to have gained a fair bit of humility in the interim. He has been rattled a few times this year, though.

And Niki is right. Bernie has been good with marketing all along, and the technology of broadcasting. The standard model of television providers is dying, and he should be on the cutting edge of the new technology, including allowing for streaming services, and more than just a timing app for those who deal with smart phones.

You'd be in a better position to answer this question than many others here, Trav. Is the spectacle exceedingly expensive in Germany, as opposed to other European races that Germans may also choose to attend?

I agree that Hamilton has matured both on and off track in recent years, although he still can be a little whiny at times. I really do wish F1 would offer some type of streaming service. Although I'm sure they'd make it ludicrously expensive, I'd probably flip for it.

Originally Posted By: Klutch9
I agree that Hamilton has matured both on and off track in recent years, although he still can be a little whiny at times.

Yes, I won't argue that point. He's been a lot more gracious, but he still gets overly freaked out when he's faced with a little bad luck. No matter what happens, he's having a good season, and should be appreciative of the position he's in with Mercedes.

It's hard to say how expensive they'd make a streaming service. It wouldn't have to be ridiculously pricey. The WEC subscription is around $20 for the year.

Prices are not bad at all 175-500 Euro depending on location which is cheaper than many of the other Euro F1 races for similar location.
DTM is much cheaper and more fun as a spectator.

Originally Posted By: Klutch9
I agree that Hamilton has matured both on and off track in recent years, although he still can be a little whiny at times.

Yes, I won't argue that point. He's been a lot more gracious, but he still gets overly freaked out when he's faced with a little bad luck. No matter what happens, he's having a good season, and should be appreciative of the position he's in with Mercedes.

It's hard to say how expensive they'd make a streaming service. It wouldn't have to be ridiculously pricey. The WEC subscription is around $20 for the year.

True, it wouldn't HAVE to be pricey. But wasn't/isn't their official app like $35/year or something like that? I could have sworn it was, but don't quote me on it. I get the feeling that F1 just charges whatever they feel like, but that may change soon if the popularity figures for the sport truly are falling. And the WEC streaming service is awesome. All they need is an app I can use on my BluRay player.

Originally Posted By: Trav
DTM is much cheaper and more fun as a spectator.

And the endurance races can be ridiculously cheap, too, at least from my research.

Klutch9: I don't know what the WEC app costs in comparison, or if that's part of the general subscription price, or what the story is there. As for WEC streaming, I just need a video card with HDMI, and I can get things set up the way I want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back