F-35B ejection and crash - USMC asking for help locating the crash site

They remembered latest IOS update notice:

View attachment 179300

Not crash detection? Not in the mood to doctor this.

ios-16-iphone-14-pro-watchos-9-series-8-crash-detection.png

We'll just need to wait for the report. It was supposedly on autopilot, where it has a decent range for a fighter, especially since it's kind of chunky with a large tank and reasonably efficient engines. Just curious if the pilot ejected, why it could have been directly guided before ejecting. I guess it was fortunate that it eventually crashed where it didn't injure anyone.

Sounds like someone got remote control of the plane as the pilot could no longer fly it. They were warned about Chinese electronic hardware.....

Sounds like someone got remote control of the plane as the pilot could no longer fly it. They were warned about Chinese electronic hardware.....
In that case they should've flew it all the way back to China. They could've got a free jet.

This one has brought out all the crazies, especially when they asked for help locating the crash site.

f-35-missing.jpg

But many of these memes don't quite get it right because they use photos of the F-35A. The F-35B has the cover for the lift fan intake.

Apparently the Marine version has an “auto eject” function that the Navy and Air Force variants don’t have.

Apparently the Marine version has an “auto eject” function that the Navy and Air Force variants don’t have.

Wow. I had no idea there was an “auto eject” function in the USMC variant. That will make for an interesting investigation…

It clearly wasn’t doing a short/vertical takeoff or landing with the lift fan though, which are the circumstances where auto eject is supposed to be enabled. I get that you’re getting it from the article, but the F-35B isn’t necessarily a “Marine” version, although the USMC is the only American military branch using it. Several foreign air forces and navies have it or have ordered it. I believe the rationale is that it might be useful in cases of runway damage. Singapore especially, since they’re so small and only have a few runways available. And the UK has ski jump carriers.

Apparently some hikers took this footage. Wondering how it took that long to find it with witnesses, unless they didn’t have cell phone service. And it did result in a fire, but it might not have created a lot of smoke if it was out of fuel. Some of the speculation (including my own) was that maybe it landed in a swamp or lake and didn’t catch on fire.

Back