Eyeglasses with Transitions Lenses

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back in 2013 I tried some progressive lenses with the regular Transitions automatic darkening, and I did not like them, mostly because they were too slow to return to clear lenses, especially during cold weather.

I am thinking of giving Transitions "Signature" lenses a second chance. Are they better in 2019? Anyone here happy with their Transitions lenses?

https://new.transitions.com/en-us/products

Just bought a pair.

So far, so good.

It seems to take about 15 seconds to adjust when you first walk indoors.

Do not work while driving, unless you are in a convertible.

Got mine in 2018. Same issue: quick to darken, slow to recover. Hate the "old man" look when walking into a store. Bought them only because of a special promotion but wouldn't do it again.

got them in 2017 and yeah they still take some time to go clear again...who knows 2019 might be different

My experience is it often depends on where you are "inside". I can go inside some stores and I don't know if it's from skylights or fluorescent lighting or LED or what but they will sometimes stay pretty tinted or sometimes keep a light tint. Other times, they return to clear very quickly.

I can't tell you which transition lenses I have though (without digging up receipts). My sister is an optician and she told me to get the latest and greatest if my insurance covered them good cost-wise and if not, go with the 2nd best. I did end up with the step down lens as my eye doctor's lab didn't have access to the latest (the optical business is very, very "tight", so they were only giving their latest transition option to their "exclusive" partners at that time). That may not be the case anymore (this was about 15 months ago).

Mine seem to adjust much quicker than they did years ago.

The brand Transitions is sometimes used generically unless you know for sure you have genuine Transitions lens coating. Kind of like Jacuzzi.

I've had photochromic lenses for at least 25 years. Don't know if all were genuine Transitions...but I've liked them all. Never had a concern about their being too slow to lighten or darken. Maybe I'm just not that picky.

Only times I've noticed slow transitions is in the winter months. Otherwise they fade out relatively quickly. They could probably make the go back to clear even quicker but I would think that'd be annoying. Full dark to full clear in a snap? Hard pass, I'll take the fade I don't notice.

Originally Posted by Danh
Hate the "old man" look when walking into a store.

lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

Originally Posted by Danh
Got mine in 2018. Same issue: quick to darken, slow to recover. Hate the "old man" look when walking into a store. Bought them only because of a special promotion but wouldn't do it again.

Same reason why I never got em.
Always heard of others who had them, but nobody was really excited they paid extra.
Appears to be a great way to spend the extra money that's burning a hole in your pocket.

Honestly, I don't mind having two sets of glasses.
I find it kinda nifty to be able to change looks and frames on a whim.

Oh and yes, I don't want to be associated with the "old men" who have them.
lol

I just new glasses a month ago. They have different shades of tint. I get the lightest one. My last pair, 4yrs ago had the same lightness of tint. The new pair has most "newest" tint that goes dark to light faster that there is. I don't even know I have them on. They will darken inside the car on a sunny day too!!!

I'm in my 30's. I've had transitions on every single pair of my glasses, except for Rx safety glasses.

Transitions has gotten WAY better, to the point where I'll be adding them to my next pair of safety lenses. I can't stand walking to and from [insert place here] or standing on the pier and dealing with the bright mid-day sun. No, thanks!

The problem with transition lenses is the lag time when they darken. When you need it the most - the first bit of time when you step into the light, - they are the least effective.

I have been wearing them for the last 15 years. I just got a new pair less then a month ago. These are the best ones I have owned. I work outside and these get real dark. They also get dark on a bright day while driving. Also pretty quick to go back to normal when walking inside. Might take a minute to get back to untinted.

My wife hated them when I had them, she said they were too dark. I found they were slow to change, didn't work in the car, and didn't get dark enough. Decided I wasn't outside enough to justify them, so I haven't had them in 20 years or more.

I have used the transitions for years. Love them and believe they have become quicker to transition to light/dark situations. As an airline pilot, this saves me from having to carry two or more sets of glasses. I used to wear contacts until I needed near vision. That would have meant 3 pair of glasses. Distant, near and sun. Transitions make my life easier.
Why would anyone care what strangers think about them wearing sunglasses indoors?

Originally Posted by PimTac
Mine seem to adjust much quicker than they did years ago.

The brand Transitions is sometimes used generically unless you know for sure you have genuine Transitions lens coating. Kind of like Jacuzzi.

I have used them for many years, each set works better then the one before. Will be getting a new pair next month.

Where are you guys walking into that the glasses are too dark? I've walked into some pretty dimly-lit places and max tint still wasn't prohibitive; not ideal, but not to the point where I could just go about my business for the minute it takes to fully clear up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back