Exxon Mobil 93 Octane Gas

Zee09

$200 Site Donor 2023
I have a vehicle that requires Premium gas....

My local Exxon is .50 to .80 cents more expensive than other premium gas in my area. Some are TT too.

That said when I buy it I absolutely can tell it is Exxon gas.

So I looked it up tonight to see what all the talk is about.... Interesting...
The validity of it all...not sure but my car is a rocket on it.

Please read " friction modifier" etc.
Thoughts? Don't beat the messenger please 😳
*This was talked about in 2019 but not much came to light about the claims.

Last edited:
Where to start?

Fuel detergents 1, 2, and 3 - pretty easy for ANYONE to do this via purchase of an off the shelf detergent additive made by BASF, Afton, Chevron Oronite, or Lubrizol.

Friction modifier - this stuff exists, but is hardly any kind of exclusive thing they have.

Approximately 10 % of the energy released by the combustion of the gasoline is lost due to internal friction in the engine. KEROPUR® gasoline performance packages can be formulated with very effective friction modifiers minimizing friction between the piston rings and the cylinder wall, which results in an instantaneous fuel economy benefit.​

ULTRAZOL GA9530​

Friction Modifier for Aftermarket Gasoline Products​

This Japanese patent covers anti-adhesion additives (really dispersants) and friction modifiers.

Corrosion inhibitors are pretty common. They were required when methanol was allowed in pump gasoline in the late 80s since methanol is rather corrosive. Mentioning a demulsifier is pretty silly, and every additive package is distributed in a solvent. Most additive packages are more solvent than anything else.

How do people know what EMRE and partners like BASF develop in private agreements …
(they partner and do business with all companies - including competitors)

BITOG - where only motor oils are developed into a “formula“ …

I have consistently used Exxon 93 octane in my Golf Alltrack. Personal choice. I can get "on it" on some of the local quite mountainous roads and never get a bit of knock or ping. Plus the power output is a lot of fun. According to Exxon, they double the amount of Top Tier goodies over their regular gas in order to be competitive with Shell V-Power.

I can't even get Exxon here that I know of but there is Shell if I go out of my way a bit for it. Eighty cents more a gallon? Ouch! I'd expect to pay 30 to 40 but not beyond that. Does Exxon have a 91 premium as well?

I can't even get Exxon here that I know of but there is Shell if I go out of my way a bit for it. Eighty cents more a gallon? Ouch! I'd expect to pay 30 to 40 but not beyond that. Does Exxon have a 91 premium as well?
Likely in areas where a premium E0 product is available.

When I had my 2021 Escape 2.0T, I started out using premium as I could tell a difference. But I quickly got fed up with the inconsistent price premium for premium, even at stations with same brand. Seemed to range from 40 to 80 cents a gallon around here. Gas Buddy prices for premium are not often entered or updated as often so I found myself searching by regular prices only to find that premium at that particular station was 80 cents more. Final straw was when my favorite station that had been charging 40 cents more randomly started charging 80 cents more.

I then discovered that sport mode on regular fuel was the sweet spot for me. It was actually more responsive than regular fuel in normal mode. Of course, this is only an option if your engine is designed to run on regular also.

I then discovered that sport mode on regular fuel was the sweet spot for me. It was actually more responsive than regular fuel in normal mode. Of course, this is only an option if you’re engine is designed to run on regular also.
I love using sport mode if it is available and that made my old BMW run much better. But the gas mileage was pretty horrendous.

No only 87- 89-93
Sunoco is the only one that does 91 here but it isn't straight gas like available elsewhere. 10% ethanol.

I have consistently used Exxon 93 octane in my Golf Alltrack. Personal choice. I can get "on it" on some of the local quite mountainous roads and never get a bit of knock or ping. Plus the power output is a lot of fun. According to Exxon, they double the amount of Top Tier goodies over their regular gas in order to be competitive with Shell V-Power.
This is exactly what I am noticing.
Sunoco 93 just doesn't compare.

Premium swing here... Gas Buddy

Screenshot_20220102-105852(1).jpg

Reactions: dcd
My 20 year old daughter says that she "has to push the gas pedal down farther" to get up a certain on-ramp unless she is using Exxon 93.
I have noticed too that my four cylinder Tacoma auto down shifts less with the cruise on going up hills when I am running it.

Back