Extreme Simple Green?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got some of this stuff:

http://simplegreen.com/products_extreme_motor.php

that I bought for light use on my bike and to clean up some spots in my engine bay that tend to get dirty quickly by virtue of the fact that my car has no splash shield and I drive on dirt every day. But, it seems like there's a lot of conflicting information online regarding the safety of degreasers and solvants.

This stuff claims to be safe for auto applications. If I use it to clean what I want to, I'm going to end up spraying it into some reasonably tight areas where realistically it's going to get on surfaces other than those I'm cleaning, and unless I just take the hose to it I may not end up getting every last drop cleaned off.

Before I go that route I wanted to see if anyone has any anecdotes about this "Extreme Simple Green" that point to how safe it is on various metals, rubbers, plastics, and paints in the engine bay. To be honest, cleaning the engine bay gives me the willies in general but I'm getting the urge to keep things a little cleaner than they are right now.

I have never had trouble with Simple Green but I am very cautious with Wesley's Bleche White. A very powerful detergent. I actually use it to remove crud from lawn chairs that have been out under trees. Nothing else will work but Wesley's strips the dirt off with just a hint of scrubbing.

I'll have to look at that link. I've used mainly the original, but have a gallon of Pro Series MAX to use up. I think I got it at Pep Boys last spring when I had some $ (taxes came back for once). I don't see any difference in the cleaning ability or even the smell or appearance. I'm going to my parents' to clean our car, so I'll double check on the performance.

I use it on my bike engines and wheels with good results. SG Extreme was made for aircraft cleaning, so it's fine for aluminum and other metals.

Originally Posted By: Drew2000
I use it on my bike engines and wheels with good results. SG Extreme was made for aircraft cleaning, so it's fine for aluminum and other metals.

Good to know, because I read that simple green can discolor aluminum. If the Extreme is better I will buy some to clean my engine and aluminum wheels.

I've always used the regular stuff. You can thin it out and make it really last. I use it on EVERYTHING. Carpet machines, upholstery, engines, wheels, house siding, etc... The stuff smells great and is one of the best cleaners I have ever used.

Originally Posted By: Drew2000

The bottle is pretty clear about it being safe on aluminum, painted metals, and carbon fiber. What I'm slightly less clear on is whether it's OK on all plastics (obviously it's OK for some -- it comes in a plastic bottle!). I don't really want to end up wearing through any plastic wiring conduits or anything just because I wanted to clean up some road gunk in the engine bay.

I use it to clean the engine compartment on my cars every year and have yet to have any problems.

Originally Posted By: idok
I use it to clean the engine compartment on my cars every year and have yet to have any problems.

Just spray down with it, let it sit, and then wash it off a few minutes later with the hose, or what?

I like simple green but am a little afraid to use it on aluminum. If the extreme is really safe on Aluminum then I'd certainly use it.

AD

Originally Posted By: ADFD1
I like simple green but am a little afraid to use it on aluminum. If the extreme is really safe on Aluminum then I'd certainly use it.

AD

The bottle and the website are pretty specific about it being safe for use on aluminum. I'm still not 100% sure about all the other miscellaneous materials around the engine bay, though.

Originally Posted By: rationull
Originally Posted By: idok

Just spray down with it, let it sit, and then wash it off a few minutes later with the hose, or what?
That's what I do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back