Extra oil for 2 stroke break in?

I always mix it extra thick for the first gallon of fuel with new 2-cycle equipment. Whether or not it makes a difference, I can't prove anything one way or another but I got good life out of my equipment (cutoff and chain saws).

I usually run 32:1 post break in with normal 2 cycle oil. When using Opti-2 which is supposed to be mixed 100:1 (similar to Amsoil Saber), I used 64:1 for many years with excellent results.

Last edited:
Personally more of a 40:1 Full Syn ethanol free mix myself and run it all the time. I would see absolutely nothing wrong with a touch more oil for the initial break-in, but not down to the 32:1 as it would mostly cause it to be a little more "boggy"

I have a weedwacker coming my way next week ( hopefully)
It calls for 50-1 mix. Anything wrong with adding more oil for the first tank of gas or so? 32-1 or 40-1?
I run 40:1 in my Stihl if I try to go anything richer it won't run. It's super picky about the oil ratio.

It calls for 50-1 mix. Anything wrong with adding more oil for the first tank of gas or so? 32-1 or 40-1?
What brand and model just curious I run my trimmer WOT so I’ve always run 40:1 in my Sthil FS 240 and every other piece of OPE no matter what brand all recommending 50:1
VPracing C9 with VPracing 2stroke oil.

What brand and model just curious I run my trimmer WOT so I’ve always run 40:1 in my Sthil FS 240 and every other piece of OPE no matter what brand all recommending 50:1
VPracing C9 with VPracing 2stroke oil.
I have ordered an echo srm225. Due to our emissions laws it can't be sold here so we will see if the sale goes through. Plan B is a road trip to Home depo in Bullhead Az with a side trip to oatman.

My oil is Torco GP-7. Had great luck with it.

In our extensive testing, 32 to 1 is the ideal two stroke engine mixture, for maximum engine life. I've never seen an engine that did not love that ratio. Remember, there is almost always a mixture adjustment to tune the beast properly, although you may have to remove the "safety" caps. Choose an EG-D or FD rated oil.

I bought a 4 stroke weedeater last year, and I broke it in with a tankfull of some 32:1.

I didn't know quite what to expect with this thing. An "oil change" for it is 2.3 ounces of 20w-50, LOL.

I have a 20 year old unopened quart of M1 15w-50 in the back of the cabinet. That should work just fine for this weedeater, for the next 15 years or so.

More oil = lean and hot. So, no
Always adjust the mixture for proper operation, regardless of fuel and oil choice. Furthermore, 10% ethanol in the fuel, which is acceptable according to most major manufacturers, dilutes/leans the F/A mixture far more than 1 ounce more oil in the mix.

From Echo: ECHO handheld power equipment is designed to tolerate up to 10% ethanol blended fuel

never heard of this let me know how it works out. I never did this my backpack blower is going strong 7 yrs later. go with a RTU fuel pre-mixed for 40 & 50:1 applications.

When I was kid back in the 1960's and 1970's most people ran 20:1. Some 18:1.

I mowed a lot of neighborhood lawns. My dad bought me a Lawn-Boy commercial push mower. Cast Al deck, 1 gallon tank, steel ball bearing wheels, industrial 2 stroke motor. We mixed 20:1 with 30w motor oil.

My dad was still using that mower into the new millennium.

Gas actually cools the 2 stroke engine. Lean is mean, exhaust side of pistons melt. Tons of experience with 2 stroke snowmobile engines here. Exhaust temp gauges are used for max power tuning in carb motors, getting the leanest mixture for max power but it's a fine line. Keeping the exhaust gas temp under 1200f keeps the pistons intact for trail riding. I've changed a lot of pistons over the years before FI came into play when messing around with carbs for performance.
20f degree temp changes usually require one jet size in a Mikuni for example. Bigger jet for a temp. drop.
With OPE and emission requirements most are on the lean side to be compliant. If carb is adjustable go richer on the main or H adjustment a tad for long life and use a quality synth. oil in the mix.
My 25 yr old equipment is still running.

When I was kid back in the 1960's and 1970's most people ran 20:1. Some 18:1.

I mowed a lot of neighborhood lawns. My dad bought me a Lawn-Boy commercial push mower. Cast Al deck, 1 gallon tank, steel ball bearing wheels, industrial 2 stroke motor. We mixed 20:1 with 30w motor oil.

My dad was still using that mower into the new millennium.
My mom bought me an ATC 250R in 1984.It called for 20:1 using Honda 2 stroke oil. The dealer insisted I run 50:1 using Duralube 2 stroke oil. After we brought it home the Thing ran about 2 minutes a locked up tight.

Dealer warrantied it and I began to use more oil 20:1,32:1 and it ran a lot longer betweel rebuilds.

Then I got sponsored by Neo Synthetic oil which was supposed to be 100:1. Went back to siezing again.

I won a race being sponsored by Neo oil but running Golden Spectro @32:1.

I just bought a new Stihl trimmer and it came with a full tank ready to go. Bought from reputable dealer. I feel like they did add extra oil based on smoke compared to my old fs40. But it could just be not sealed up perfectly yet from break in.

Back