Extra capacity Transmission pan w/ drain plug?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was looking at getting one of these for my Fathers truck. It's a 2001 Ford F150 4x4 w/ the 5.4L (Tow & Off-road packages).

The truck is used for occasional towing and some off-road use. It currently has 114K on it and the fluid has not been touched. Actually, noting has been to the truck other than brakes...

I plan on dropping the transmission pan and installing a new filter. I will also drain the torque converter. I was thinking of going with one of these finned aluminum extra capacity transmission pans that have a drain plug added for future drains.

I figured I would do this initial drain/fill and run it for a month and do everything again just because the truck has been somewhat neglected. After this, I'll start my typical 20K drain/fill procedure to keep the fluid fresh. I may even consider the Auto Rx treatment.

I like the idea of the extra fluid and the finned aluminum pan for cooler transmission temperatures and easier service.

Looking at these two pans:

http://www.mag-hytec.com/store/index.php...9232cd488c8c97d

http://www.bmracing.com/PRODUCTS/Cast-Al...R70W-adds-3-qts

Or, I can stop worrying about it and toss in a $5 B&M drain plug...

I'm not sure you need this pan with fins and extra capacity. I'm guessing the truck came with a tranny cooler with the tow package, right? Probably why your dad hasn't had much trouble with it.

I think I'd just install a drain plug and do regular drain and refills if this was my truck.

Unless, of course, you're just looking for a fun project to do :)
grin2.gif

Yea, there is a tranny cooler with the tow package. This has been the most trouble free truck he has ever owned.

The drain plug may be the way to go. It would sure save me some coin...

Yeah for the 4r70w, the pan from the Lincoln Mark8 I think has a drainplug, and a deep sump.

You need to change the filter to the deep sump style filter, just get the one that goes with the pan you are using.

I remember paying under 40 bucks for this item. The stores like Jegs want 200 bucks for basically the same thing.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
Yeah for the 4r70w, the pan from the Lincoln Mark8 I think has a drainplug, and a deep sump.

You need to change the filter to the deep sump style filter, just get the one that goes with the pan you are using.

I remember paying under 40 bucks for this item. The stores like Jegs want 200 bucks for basically the same thing.

I serviced the transmission in our Mark VIII last summer. It did not have a drain plug in the transmission pan, and it took roughly 5 quarts in the pan just like any other passanger car 4r70w.

I have a Mag-Hytec deep pan on my F-150. Holds an extra 4 quarts and has a drain plug, as well as a temp sensor bung. Nicely made piece of hardware. They have the "D" pan (1.5 quarts more than stock) and the aforementioned "DD" which hold 4 more. I like the extra oil capacity and the drain, of course. Unless he tows, the cover won't likely add much useful to cooling but the extra capacity could extend the maintenance interval a little. If you also add an external trans filter like the Racor LFS or the Magnatec you could add lots more life to the truck.

Originally Posted By: Onmo'Eegusee
http://www.lpwracing.com/p_tranpans.asp
Thats the pan I have on my Vic.

Thanks. The price is right and it looks like a quality product. May be worth it just for the piece of mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back