External Power Steering Filter

Guys,

I have a 2008 Volvo XC90 3.2AWD.

I know that inside the PS reservoir there is a mesh that work as a filter but I want to add a external inline Power Steering fluid Filter.

Any advise what filter to use? I dont want to install something that is going to cause flow restriction of the PS Fluid

What micron size I need to use?

Thx for your time and help

Why not run a filter in a bypass style setup? Possibly T into the return, through an appropriately sized fuel filter and back into the reseviour. At least then if it did get blocked you wouldn't loose your power steering?

I use those inline magnetic filters. Been using them for years. usually change it once in the car's lifetime.

The old ones were plastic but I never had a problem. The pressure in the return line is not much.

81Zcs4H1bpL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

You won't have any selection re micron size.
Determining your hose size is what you need to do.
Also, see if there's enough room for the filter you do find.
There are big ones (above) and smaller ones.

I use those inline magnetic filters. Been using them for years. usually change it once in the car's lifetime.

The old ones were plastic but I never had a problem. The pressure in the return line is not much.

I have used this in my Toyota and never give any issue.
Make sure the P/S system is flushed completely before putting this on.
So you will never have to do P/S fluid change for a while.

I have also put this same filter for transmission.

I will check if I can find this type of filter in my country.... If not, I will order one of this. I need to check is my hose is 3/8 or 5/16.

Yes, I am going to do a flush........My car has 80,000kms and the fluid is dark.

Guys, thx for your time and help

I had a used car that the PS fluid was black as coffee. I first changed it out with some Amsoil ATF that I was using at the time. it took about a day to get coal black again. So I switched to cheap ATF fluid and drained the reservoir every day, then every week and refilled until it stayed clean. It took about a month of driving. Then I dumped it, put in the good fluid and filter.

Put a drop of the old fluid on a paper napkin to seen the dirt rings left behind as to how to determine how dirty it still is.

I have one on my power steering return and trans return line on my 2001 chevy silverado 5.3l. I also have a remote filter kit installed and the magnafine is a bit down stream of the remote spin on kit for my 4l60e transmission the placement will help having less of a chance of the inline filter getting plugged up at all. I have used a wix and a royal purple spin on so far it came with the derale Filter but I wanted something better so I switched it out.I have not yet replaced the magnifine inlines yet still working well fluid looks very clean.

Back