Extending the change intervals of a FS2500? w/UOAs

Status
Not open for further replies.
From looking at my UOA can I tell if I can extend the change intervals? If so what do I keep an eye on the Insolubles? I have always had my FS on my truck and never changed it without changing the oil even on the 15K UOA. Now I'm switching to SYN. oil and plan to extend my change intervals more. The truck is a 06 Duramax 6.6L oil was Delo 400 15/40 going to be switching to Rotella T syn 5/40.
Thanks

UOA4.jpg

Last edited:
IMO, you should keep an eye on the following:
TBN - Ideally you want it above 2.0 so you have a cushion before sludging occurs
Insolubles - Not that much of a problem with a bypass, but nevertheless important
Viscosity - If you shear out of grade, you may want to reduce your OCI
Wear metals, Silicon levels, water & fuel - if these start increasing, you may have a problem with your system or with your engine.

Your UOA looks pretty good. I believe you can definitely extend your OCI as the comments suggest.

That is a great report. With Syn I am sure 12,000-15,000 miles would be possible. But with such good reports with this oil why bother switching?

How many qts does that take?

Last edited:
I don't see anything near any condemnation levels. I'd go the 15k that ZZman suggests. I doubt that it will be too far. If it is, not by much.

Originally Posted By: wcbcruzer
Did you take the oil sample from the FS2500 outlet?

Yes

Originally Posted By: ZZman
That is a great report. With Syn I am sure 12,000-15,000 miles would be possible. But with such good reports with this oil why bother switching?

How many qts does that take?

My plan has always been to switch to a syn. once I got the high break in #s down. If it doesn't seem to be worth while by extending OCIs and lower wear I'll go back.

11.5 Qts. with the FS.

I many have not been clear, but my plan with syn. is to change the just the FS(& 1.5 qts. of oil) at 12K-15K and wait on the oil and the full flow until 20K+. Or do ya'll think there is no way that is going to happen?

Seems to me you are not taking advantage of the advantages of the bypass filter. There are UOAS with out the bypass filters that are not much different. You probably could run you oil change intervals without a bypass filter .People are running Amsoil And Delvac 1 higher miles without a bypass . I can't see the bypass filter need .

You really think so with single digit wear #s on a dino with 10K on it? I haven't seen any posts to back that up, but the search function leaves a lot to be desired here. Its cheaper for me to to run a FS on dino for 12K then Amsoil or Delvac for the same with the stock Full Flow. I even had good #s with 15K on a Dino when you take into consideration those #s where still during break in. I plan to extend my OCI as much as possible, but haven't yet since the engine wasn't broke in. You maybe right though, whats anyone else think?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Dozerboy
Originally Posted By: wcbcruzer
Did you take the oil sample from the FS2500 outlet?

Yes

You should take a sample from the engine oil pan next time. Of course any oil that comes right out of the FS2500 will be really clean so I believe it doesn't give you an actual sample of your engine's oil and what contaminants can be found in it. Just my opinion.

Looks like a good plan to me Dozerboy. You can use UOA's as a tool to let you know when to change the oil. 20K should be a breeze with the bypass filter, with UOA's you might be able to go longer than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back