explain why same temp feels different

Status
Not open for further replies.
To answer this question we would first need to know the relative humidity levels in summer and winter.

A temperature reading is a temperature reading. It's sampling from a spot, and assuming that the air in a space is well mixed, the sampling should be consistent with the seasons.

But if humidity changes, the feel can change. That's why people are more able to bear the "dry heat" in the desert, while if unable to sweat/evaporate properly because of high humidity, then it's no good.

Maybe you would benefit from changing the location of your thermostat?

I would say humidity. When we went out to Moab, Utah they had about 20% humidity with 95*F plus heat. It was cold when I got out of the pool!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cashmoney
Originally Posted By: Rosetta
As your username implies rsrsrsrs ...
It depends if the A/C is trying to raise the temperature of if it is trying to decrease temperature. When it is raising, the most part will be going at the top of the room first (warm air raises) and you'll feel less the change until it blends. But warm air doesn't blend very well. When it's decreasing temperature the most production will go to the bottom of the room. Since we are living below the medium height of the room, most of the times, we will feel the change more pronouced when such changes of air temps is happening at the lower parts and the room. So, the AC efficiency is better and quickier when cooling then warming the ambient at our bodies level. That's why you feel more the cold at cold days at colder or lower parts ...
That's because the temperatures indicated by the equipment is an average from where it's installed almost at top of the room and the 71 there isn't 71 at medium height ...
If you can get me, because I took the red one, hahaha

Aha ...very insightful post.

Thanks
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: raaizin
We have central a/c in our house. I leave the temp at 71 degrees during the day all year round. In the winter with thermostat at 71 degrees I feel almost cold. While in summer I feel almost hot. House has insulation and wrapped in tyvek. Is there a real cause for this or is it just in my mind, cold in winter and hot in summer.

Far more information is needed to diagnose this. IOW "It depends...on a lot". First, it's only 71° at the thermostat. How much it varies throughout the rest of your house depends on many factors. Second, if you feel hot with it set on 71°, something's wrong.

I'd suggest ceiling fans to mix the air.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back