Expired Tires Blamed for Double Fatality

If $1200 every 6 years for tires is too much money, get a new resume made up, and start applying for much better jobs. I personally spend more than that annually, on motorcycle tires alone.

If $1200 every 6 years for tires is too much money, get a new resume made up, and start applying for much better jobs. I personally spend more than that annually, on motorcycle tires alone.
You know, I am 78 years old, and had my own car since I was 16, and I am not sure, but don't think I have spent $1200 on tires for my whole life. Of course a lot of that has to do with getting different(not new) car quite often. And of course buying used tires for the few I kept longer, like the old 63 chevy that I drove 5 miles to work for 10 years. I think I bought a pair of studded snow tires for it once. Used that car for a service truck. Had a push bumper on it.

I can't help but wonder, if any one of these factors had been changed, would the accident have been averted?
As an instructor of accident investigation for twenty years I will tell you that this is overwhelmingly the case. Remove just one factor and the crash doesn't occur or the outcome changes. Oh, and wear your @#$%b seatbelt.

I realize that this is a 3 year old post, but here's my thoughts.
If 8 year old tires, going 80 mph, in the heat, were the cause of this accident, there'd be wrecked cars strewn all over I95 around here!
That is NOT how this works. There are multiple variables that can contribute to damage. The old tire is more prone to failure, to damage, which does not mean it will blow off just like that rolling down the road. But, where a new(er) tire might just roll over it, the old tire might fail.

I understand that Ed. My point is that was not the MAIN cause. There had to be other factors that caused the accident, not old tires. I'm sure many others here have said the same thing in previous posts.

I understand that Ed. My point is that was not the MAIN cause. There had to be other factors that caused the accident, not old tires. I'm sure many others here have said the same thing in previous posts.
I would say there is general agreement here about old tires. You can go through it yourself. What causes their failure? They won’t fail sitting in garage. So is driving to blame or age of tire? If they fail at pothole that would not be a problem for newer tire, is it pothole or tire? People who die from HIV don’t die bcs. HIV killed them. They die bcs. HIV decimated immune system, and then pneumonia kills them. So, no HIV, no dying from pneumonia. Newer tires? Likelihood blowing off on pothole are minimal. Ir during road trips etc.

I worked for a lawn care business once and they would replace tires every 3 years. Some tires on their backup trucks barely had the rubber nubs worn off of them yet but if they were 3 years old they got changed. I asked one day why they done this it seemed like a waste of money. Apparently a few years prior to me starting they had a truck blow a tire and killed the driver and his passenger, the cause was 8 year old tires that had began to dry rot. Good enough reason i reckon.

The trend separated, truck roll over, people ejected. I would blame the seatbelt first, then maybe the tires (if they are neglected or under inflated or manufacturing defects like the Firestone on Ford Explorer).

Typically people who won't wear seatbelts aren't the people who will take care of their tires either. Nevertheless in the US we have so many lawyers manufacturers have to consider any idiot can abuse the products and services and they have to protect themselves from these idiots, and build in fault tolerance or just decline these customers / applications.

The trend separated, truck roll over, people ejected. I would blame the seatbelt first, then maybe the tires (if they are neglected or under inflated or manufacturing defects like the Firestone on Ford Explorer).

Typically people who won't wear seatbelts aren't the people who will take care of their tires either. Nevertheless in the US we have so many lawyers manufacturers have to consider any idiot can abuse the products and services and they have to protect themselves from these idiots, and build in fault tolerance or just decline these customers / applications.
No, absolutely no!
The seatbelt is passive safety equipment.
The tire is active safety equipment.
The seatbelt is the last resort. Tires are there not to get to that point where you need a seatbelt.
What you saying is that if brakes are faulty, seatbelts are to blame.

No, absolutely no!
The seatbelt is passive safety equipment.
The tire is active safety equipment.
The seatbelt is the last resort. Tires are there not to get to that point where you need a seatbelt.
What you saying is that if brakes are faulty, seatbelts are to blame.
What I'm saying is, the idiot who doesn't wear seatbelt is to blame. They could have lost their truck instead of their lives.

People crashes and roll over everyday, most people survive, idiot who doesn't wear seatbelt die.

Apathy is the real culprit. Old tires? Who cares? Seatbelts? Don't need 'em. If this is the way these folks lived their entire lives, it was bound to catch up to them. Unfortunately, there are millions of people who drive around in ignorant bliss regarding the condition of their vehicles. It caught up to someone on this day. If you're going to keep tires for a long time, they need care. Lack of care = disaster in the making. Tires are safety equipment, not accessories.

What I'm saying is, the idiot who doesn't wear seatbelt is to blame. They could have lost their truck instead of their lives.

People crashes and roll over everyday, most people survive, idiot who doesn't wear seatbelt die.
Again, tires are tricky. Most people have no idea that the age of tires is a problem. We have places like DT or Costco that should pay attention to this, yet DT is ready to sell years old tires.
The idiot who does not wear a seatbelt is not a methodology to measure these events. There are numerous people who roll over and die but they wore a seatbelt.
The culprit here is a tire, not a seatbelt. So, that is where the focus should be. I have a neighbor who bought himself a 1987 Corvette last year. He always wanted that Corvette. Found one is in nice condition, shipped here from GA. Invested money in suspension, shocks etc. The tires look brand new. One day we were talking and he said how one tire is losing air. I checked tires and see that DOT is 2001. I explained that probably the culprit is age and anyway he should change it bcs. age. He never knew about that, and yet he invested xxxx of dollars to make the car safe.
So is he an idiot?

Apathy is the real culprit. Old tires? Who cares? Seatbelts? Don't need 'em. If this is the way these folks lived their entire lives, it was bound to catch up to them. Unfortunately, there are millions of people who drive around in ignorant bliss regarding the condition of their vehicles. It caught up to someone on this day. If you're going to keep tires for a long time, they need care. Lack of care = disaster in the making. Tires are safety equipment, not accessories.
Yeah, but really, how many people know about the age of tires? Should they know that in the first place? That is why there are places like DT, Costco, American Tire etc. etc.

Yeah, but really, how many people know about the age of tires? Should they know that in the first place? That is why there are places like DT, Costco, American Tire etc. etc.
I'm of the mindset that even people who loathe the thought of wrenching on their own car should at least extend the effort to know basic information. Old or worn out tires = risk. The excuse that "I don't like messing with that stuff" doesn't pardon anyone from their responsibility of providing basic maintenance to the 5,000 lb. death machine sitting in the driveway. I get very tired of people blaming manufacturers and dragging them into court over stuff like this. The "I don't wanna" attitude shouldn't be a valid reason to shirk your responsibilities as the owner. Nothing lasts forever, but with basic care, you can greatly reduce the chances of a nasty surprise. I would not hesitate to drive 80mph on a old set of tires that I've owned since new, given that they have adequate tread after that long. Unfortunately, when non-like-minded people finally decide to replace old tires, they pay no attention to them until there's a problem. I have family members who are guilty of this. Usually a flat, or some obvious cosmetic issue is the only occurrence that brings a problem to light. Lack of pro-active maintenance, or simple monitoring of tread depth and general condition would've prevented this. But hopefully they didn't die in vain.....maybe enough people saw this tragic story and will go out to the garage and actually check their tires. Those of us who share the roads with the "I don't wannas" should pray that's the case.

I'm of the mindset that even people who loathe the thought of wrenching on their own car should at least extend the effort to know basic information. Old or worn out tires = risk. The excuse that "I don't like messing with that stuff" doesn't pardon anyone from their responsibility of providing basic maintenance to the 5,000 lb. death machine sitting in the driveway. I get very tired of people blaming manufacturers and dragging them into court over stuff like this. The "I don't wanna" attitude shouldn't be a valid reason to shirk your responsibilities as the owner. Nothing lasts forever, but with basic care, you can greatly reduce the chances of a nasty surprise. I would not hesitate to drive 80mph on a old set of tires that I've owned since new, given that they have adequate tread after that long. Unfortunately, when non-like-minded people finally decide to replace old tires, they pay no attention to them until there's a problem. I have family members who are guilty of this. Usually a flat, or some obvious cosmetic issue is the only occurrence that brings a problem to light. Lack of pro-active maintenance, or simple monitoring of tread depth and general condition would've prevented this. But hopefully they didn't die in vain.....maybe enough people saw this tragic story and will go out to the garage and actually check their tires. Those of us who share the roads with the "I don't wannas" should pray that's the case.
Absolutely, but take this:
You have a soccer mom, bought tires bcs. 80,000 miles tread wear. Makes 6-8,000 miles a year. DT sells her 3-year-old tire (like they tried to sell me), what do you do? Tire look good after 5 years, but....

Absolutely, but take this:
You have a soccer mom, bought tires bcs. 80,000 miles tread wear. Makes 6-8,000 miles a year. DT sells her 3-year-old tire (like they tried to sell me), what do you do? Tire look good after 5 years, but....
I don't think age, by itself, is a factor, so I can't say that this would make any difference to me. If they look good, they probably are good. There are most often visual clues to a failing tire. They don't just magically explode at 5 years or 8 years. Mine, especially on the truck, since it lives outside, are cleaned, treated, and inspected regularly. If your soccer mom is flying down the road 3 or 4 years later with a carload of kids on tires that she hasn't taken responsibility for maintaining, and they're bald, under-inflated, or weather cracked, she's culpable in my eyes. Nothing lasts forever, and far short of forever without maintenance. She didn't buy them worn or weather-cracked, even if they were 3 years old at install time. Just saying...if your life doesn't include taking some responsibility for what you're riding around in, you may pay a dear price. A quick visual inspection by someone who's taken the time to learn what to look for, very likely would've saved some lives.

I don't think age, by itself, is a factor, so I can't say that this would make any difference to me. If they look good, they probably are good. There are most often visual clues to a failing tire. They don't just magically explode at 5 years or 8 years. Mine, especially on the truck, since it lives outside, are cleaned, treated, and inspected regularly. If your soccer mom is flying down the road 3 or 4 years later with a carload of kids on tires that she hasn't taken responsibility for maintaining, and they're bald, under-inflated, or weather cracked, she's culpable in my eyes. Nothing lasts forever, and far short of forever without maintenance. She didn't buy them worn or weather-cracked, even if they were 3 years old at install time. Just saying...if your life doesn't include taking some responsibility for what you're riding around in, you may pay a dear price. A quick visual inspection by someone who's taken the time to learn what to look for, very likely would've saved some lives.
I do not drive a 6-year-old tire or older. period. New or slightly used, or bald. Whatever.

Remind me to avoid I-15 in Utah. It appears to be a death trap! It seems that stupidity is overtaking every aspect of our world. Bad driving, negligent driving, and even bad journalism.

Let's look at the "journalism," which is pretty much what the stupidest people pick as a career these days. The HEADLINE is totally incorrect, as are the CONCLUSIONS of this journalist. "Expired tires are to blame for fatality." No, not really sweetheart, but nice try. Later in the article, "...excessive speed and impairment were not a factor in this crash." Eeeehhhh. Wrong again darling. Driving too fast in an old pickup truck, quite likely literally speeding but surely going too fast for the ability of the vehicle and tires. Expired tires directly relate to driver error and negligence. Not wearing seatbelts in the front seat is illegal so that is negligence per se. And excessive speed MUST have been a factor because it caused the rollover when the tire failed. If they were going 5mph, the vehicle would not have rolled over. Remove the speed, they survive. But good tires on, they survive. Put seatbelts on, they don't get ejected and probably survive. This was a trifecta of negligence and some illegal behavior.

Now to driver error. Bad tires, speeding, no seatbelts, not paying attention. People are just criminally stupid these days. DRIVER ERROR is a serious problem. I was searching for this article and drivers on I-15 are apparently driving on a lot of poor condition tires. Several fatalities citing old tires in the news there recently. I wonder if having tires sit and rot or be neglected is causing a rash of these problems. And WEAR YOUR SEATBELT> There's a direct correlation as to who lives and who dies based on survivors are generally belted and deceased are generally not belted.

Bald tires, blown tires from age/neglect/rot, and/or separated tread are the drivers negligence and error. $1000 for new tires is less expensive than any injuries or accident damages.

These are Utah I-15 crashes recently!
From 2021:
Tire road debris causes accident fatality on I-15

From 2020:
Two unbelted ejected and died, two belted in survived. Two dead from Honda van rollover after tire failure:

Semi blows tire, throws unsecured load of I-beams across highway causing serious injuries

From 2019: Blown tire leads to headon collision with road divider, and fatality on I-15.

Separated tire tread causes rollover and serious injury.

Bald tires, speed, and hydroplaning blamed for rollover and fatality.

Three killed, 1 ejected, in pickup rollover crash. May not be a tire related crash, but a rollover and 1 dead was ejected for not wearing seatbelt.

Rollover crash, ejections, fatalities.

Series of accidents, many of which due to tire debris.

Remind me to pick a one state stretch of highway and then claim look at all these fatal accidents recently while citing articles back to 2003 to try to make a point about a road being dangerous...

Reality is Utah is actually pretty safe overall as compared to other states...

All that in a post complaining about how journalism misses the point and gets things wrong.

Back