Expired Tires Blamed for Double Fatality

Remind me to pick a one state stretch of highway and then claim look at all these fatal accidents recently while citing articles back to 2003 to try to make a point about a road being dangerous...

Reality is Utah is actually pretty safe overall as compared to other states...

All that in a post complaining about how journalism misses the point and gets things wrong.

Or, a lot of people are dying due to bad tires or not wearing seatbelts. Doesn't really matter the location actually.

Very preventable, all user error.
* A good new tire is $100.
* Wearing your seatbelt is free and smart.
* Not driving too fast for conditions, which was a factor in fatalities, is also free.

So it's not a money issue. Wearing seatbelts and driving smartly is free. You can get a new used good tire for $50. A brand new one for $100 for most rides.

The point is stupid people.

Remind me to avoid I-15 in Utah. It appears to be a death trap! It seems that stupidity is overtaking every aspect of our world. Bad driving, negligent driving, and even bad journalism.

Let's look at the "journalism," which is pretty much what the stupidest people pick as a career these days. The HEADLINE is totally incorrect, as are the CONCLUSIONS of this journalist. "Expired tires are to blame for fatality." No, not really sweetheart, but nice try. Later in the article, "...excessive speed and impairment were not a factor in this crash." Eeeehhhh. Wrong again darling. Driving too fast in an old pickup truck, quite likely literally speeding but surely going too fast for the ability of the vehicle and tires. Expired tires directly relate to driver error and negligence. Not wearing seatbelts in the front seat is illegal so that is negligence per se. And excessive speed MUST have been a factor because it caused the rollover when the tire failed. If they were going 5mph, the vehicle would not have rolled over. Remove the speed, they survive. But good tires on, they survive. Put seatbelts on, they don't get ejected and probably survive. This was a trifecta of negligence and some illegal behavior.

Now to driver error. Bad tires, speeding, no seatbelts, not paying attention. People are just criminally stupid these days. DRIVER ERROR is a serious problem. I was searching for this article and drivers on I-15 are apparently driving on a lot of poor condition tires. Several fatalities citing old tires in the news there recently. I wonder if having tires sit and rot or be neglected is causing a rash of these problems. And WEAR YOUR SEATBELT> There's a direct correlation as to who lives and who dies based on survivors are generally belted and deceased are generally not belted.

Bald tires, blown tires from age/neglect/rot, and/or separated tread are the drivers negligence and error. $1000 for new tires is less expensive than any injuries or accident damages.

These are Utah I-15 crashes recently!
From 2021:
Tire road debris causes accident fatality on I-15

From 2020:
Two unbelted ejected and died, two belted in survived. Two dead from Honda van rollover after tire failure:

Semi blows tire, throws unsecured load of I-beams across highway causing serious injuries

From 2019: Blown tire leads to headon collision with road divider, and fatality on I-15.

Separated tire tread causes rollover and serious injury.

Bald tires, speed, and hydroplaning blamed for rollover and fatality.

Three killed, 1 ejected, in pickup rollover crash. May not be a tire related crash, but a rollover and 1 dead was ejected for not wearing seatbelt.

Rollover crash, ejections, fatalities.

Series of accidents, many of which due to tire debris.
Is the point of your post to show us how that bad journalism looks like?

Or, a lot of people are dying due to bad tires or not wearing seatbelts. Doesn't really matter the location actually.

Very preventable, all user error.
* A good new tire is $100.
* Wearing your seatbelt is free and smart.
* Not driving too fast for conditions, which was a factor in fatalities, is also free.

So it's not a money issue. Wearing seatbelts and driving smartly is free. You can get a new used good tire for $50. A brand new one for $100 for most rides.

The point is stupid people.
Now that is smart. Get the used tire bcs. "looks good."

Back