Expired Tires Blamed for Double Fatality

I don't buy their reason of eight year old tires. I would bet underinflation and excessive speed have to do with it. They had to blame something when they had no answers.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 555
Tire manufacturer lobbyists burning the midnight oil for a law that makes us buy new tires every x amount of years. LOL

LOL you have won the prize for the Darwin post of the day LOL. LOL

Yes, age of tires may of contributed, tire care over the years, inflation, miles on the tires, wear could also contribute. Then we have the faster speeds, driving technique, and no seat belts to consider.

For any lawsuits, may as well start with the tires.

A local news station just had a big story on the safety of big vans. Typically a blow out on any corner and they roll. I found it disturbing they were blaming the vans.. I've seen many a tire on these vans and they don't look good! How much does a church van or one with a similar purpose actually get driven yearly. I'd say not much.

Originally Posted by onemig
Originally Posted by Rand

overloaded? underinflated? Driven for 500miles at 15psi? etc.

I am thinking under inflated also.

It's amazing how many people I see these days driving around on underinflated tires...

I replace them after they hit 6 years in two of my cars that get driven infrequently. I think Europe has some limit , I could be wrong.

I bet under inflated tires that are newer are a bigger problem.

Im not sure I would drive 80mph in a F250 with new tires. The handling on them is terrible. Now I know some will tell me how they drive 100mph in a f250 and it handles like a sports car, im just stating my opinion.

We have some at work and when empty, a bump in the road makes the rear end hop, and generally they just don't feel right above 70mph. Some of my experience is based on a brand new truck so component wear was not a factor.

I am curious what the front suspension component condition was. If you ever have experienced a "death wobble" in a ford super duty you know what I am getting at. I experienced such at 65mph in a company truck with 45k miles on it. Bad stuff. It ended up needing just about everything replaced.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/t...n/131-0912-ford-super-duty-death-wobble-cure/
I just helped my brother in law put a new set of stabilizers on his F250. He had a bad case of the death wobble after hitting raised pavement coming off a bridge on the interstate.

Sounds to me like an attorney involved is looking for deep pockets—a tire company for the passenger and possibly driver’s death.

Can’t believe some of you guys were unaware of the risks of aging tires. And as stated in the link below, you can’t always tell the condition of a tire just by looking at it.

Somewhere 6 feet under someone can hear Paul Walker screaming at Roger Rodas about this same subject, although the same is said in disagreement on the actual cause of the accident to this day.

In the case of the accident in this thread, seat belts and or ejection maybe the ultimate cause of fatalities.

In the case I describe below, seat belts were not any way shape or form the cause of any fatalities, but there were still 2 fatalities.

The fact is both of these person's actually were very knowledgeable about the specific vehicle they were driving in, "They Both Had Owned This Very same Vehicle" Not a same as in both owned said same vehicle of same type, Paul Walker and Roger Rodas had both owned the vehicle they both perished in. Paul Walker owned it first, then Roger Rodas owned it after Paul Walker. Roger was giving Paul a "HOT" lap in Paul's EX Porsche. The circumstances were totally different, but the end result seemed to somewhat the same unfortunately.

I give my condolences to the families they all leave behind.

They still have tread left. What would be a reason to replace them? Tires are expensive and they do fine.
Straight up - 5 or 6 years of exposure to ozone and UV light and the rubber in the tires is weakened. At 10 years, they're not safe any more.

Give this a read:

If you're going to keep several cars, this is a consideration.

There's a member here: Capriracer, who is a tire engineer. This is his blog. http://www.barrystiretech.com/ Awesome source of information on tires. If you ever have a tire question, he IS the man.

An interesting thread on this:

Straight up - 5 or 6 years of exposure to ozone and UV light and the rubber in the tires is weakened. At 10 years, they're not safe any more.

Give this a read:

If you're going to keep several cars, this is a consideration.

There's a member here: Capriracer, who is a tire engineer. This is his blog. http://www.barrystiretech.com/ Awesome source of information on tires. If you ever have a tire question, he IS the man.

An interesting thread on this:
Good to know. Yes having 8 vehicles now we have lots of tires. The tires on the Jeep are from 2012 it’s been sitting since 2014 I guess it will need new ones too.

We have tires on our van from 2007 they are great. Tires on the beetle are from 1997 I believe is what the date says. Why replace if they aren’t bad?
And you won't run motor oil past 3K miles.;) I've ran a few sets of tires that were over 6 years old. I've got a set on one of my cars now that's about 10 years old and have less than 15k miles on them. The car sits in the garage most of the time and isn't exposed to sunlight except when I'm driving it. I do check them frequently for signs of dry rot and I don't run them low on air. I check the pressure in them when I check it in my other cars which is usually at least every couple months and more often in times of huge temperature swings like going from summer heat to winter cold.

A couple cycles ago when I went to get my tires rotated on one of my cars they tried to sell me new tires saying the tread was getting low on them. They've been driven about 8k miles since and are still about 3/32nds from the wear indicators. I'm guessing I'll get approximately 15k miles out of them after they said they needed replacing and they probably still won't be down to the treadwear indicators. If I were going to be driving 80-90 MPH on them day in and day out I probably wouldn't run them that long but with most of my driving being in the 40-55 MPH range I feel plenty safe on them until they're near the indicators.

Back