Expedition Shopping

This one looks pretty clean and pretty much exactly what I'm looking for, but it's 300 miles away.

2014 King Ranch
Looks really clean. If I was going to get the 5.4 3 valve, it would definitely be that one just because it was the last year for em.

And I'll be honest 300 miles is not that far in my eyes for something that fits the bill 🍻

Looks really clean. If I was going to get the 5.4 3 valve, it would definitely be that one just because it was the last year for em.

And I'll be honest 300 miles is not that far in my eyes for something that fits the bill 🍻
Wife had said prior that she didn't want nor care for a sunroof and lo and behold this one actually seems loaded except for a sunroof. Must've been ordered that way.

According to the CARFAX report, it was originally shipped to a Ford dealer in AutoMechanic's hometown and subsequently spent its entire lifetime with one owner in Atikovi's stomping grounds. Surely a sign from the heavens that you have found "the right one". ;)
I know that Carfax is nice I wonder if the plugs have been done?

I have done exactly what you're doing, I bought a 2010 Navigator in 2020. I bought it with 132K and it's now up to 154K.

The 5.4 3V is....okay. Mine needs a timing job, the seals on the timing chain tensioners are blown out, which is common. It lets all the tension off the chain overnight and rattles at cold start up. I've been limping it along for a while now like this but I really need to change everything out. You can also here the phasers though if you power brake it up to about 1200 RPM at the drive through. The power of the 5.4 3V is merely adequate at best, and it gets bad gas mileage anyway. I get a little better now that I live out in the sticks north of Austin and there's longer stretches of highway speeds, but still, I'm averaging about 15.5 under these conditions.

When I got mine it had 5w20 in it and it ran a little rough after driving on the freeway for an hour. Probably low oil pressure. I switched to 10w30 year round and it's smooth as butter that way.

I've also blown a heater hose soon after I acquired it. And the electrical connector on the transmission from the PCM tends to leak, I had to replace mine, not difficult but time consuming flat on your back on the garage floor. It now needs a new ABS pump. Also need to replace passenger side power door lock regulator.

I drove a high mileage 2016 Navigator that was about $5K more than my 2010. It was very close to 200K on a 4 year old car, but it was immaculate. I was scared off by the high mileage, but I can tell you from driving it, that the Ecoboost is a way, way nicer drive than the 5.4. It's just got gobs more midrange torque than the 5.4 will ever have. While the Ecoboost may have still been technically in the "1st gen" by that point, they'd had 4 years to work out the bugs in the trucks. I would definitely lean towards a 2015-2017 example with the Ecoboost over getting one with a 5.4 3V.

Don't believe the hype, if you want to keep a 5.4 3V for another 100K, you WILL be doing a timing job. I'll be doing mine eventually.

This one looks pretty clean and pretty much exactly what I'm looking for, but it's 300 miles away.

2014 King Ranch
300 miles is sometimes what it takes to find a decent vehicle that checks all the boxes you're after. The last three vehicles I bought required a lengthy drive. One was in NC 7 hours away, but I happened to be there to visit family, so it wasn't really an inconvenience. The latter two I drove up to Columbus, OH (180 miles or so) and the other was in Ashland, KY, 3-1/2 hours away. I have no regrets on any and glad I made the trips, but I knew what I wanted and was insistent on options, and I got a good deal and nice car each time. If I'd shopped locally, I would have had to make compromises on mileage, price, options or other variables. But it is a gamble, a few hour drive could be all for naught if the vehicle is hiding things or mis-advertised and you have to accept that risk.

That particular example you linked to is probably one of the cleanest, lowest mileage ones you'll find IMO. That said, black vehicles generally don't age well (unless always garaged) and at 10 years, you're bound to find imperfections cosmetically and mechanically that aren't evident in the photos. $20K doesn't buy much large SUV / truck though, and that one is a good looker. I wouldn't fear the 3V 5.4L personally, my opinion is based on experience with ones we've had in work fleets (over a decade or more), and friends / family that have owned them.

Yeah that is a really nice example. It's about the same spec as my base Navigator, in fact, it has a more fancy console for the 2nd row passengers. And no sunroof is a bonus, wish mine didn't have one. I do have remote start and the roof mounted DVD though which is nice for the kids, even with the modern devices, it's just super easy to pop in a DVD.

Back