Exhaust Leak?

When I bought an 02 Accord 4 cyl last week the smog place mentioned an exhaust leak. The guy said he wasn't sure where it was coming from.

It didn't bother me at first but now I can smell the fumes. Without lifting the car is there any way to determine where it is from? Are there any common places for 6th gen Accords to leak from? I know of a local exhaust shop but the car was so cheap I don't want to be spending 50% of the value to fix this.

When I bought an 02 Accord 4 cyl last week the smog place mentioned an exhaust leak. The guy said he wasn't sure where it was coming from.

It didn't bother me at first but now I can smell the fumes. Without lifting the car is there any way to determine where it is from? Are there any common places for 6th gen Accords to leak from? I know of a local exhaust shop but the car was so cheap I don't want to be spending 50% of the value to fix this.

if you really got an Accord in good condition for not much more than the price of a muffler, you got a good deal and it's worth spending the money.

Most likely at one of the flanges that separate each piece. They like to rot right before the flange.

There is this 304 exhaust on eBay. You can also get just the tubing from Trubendz. If you order this resonator with the tubing, they will weld it on. They might do the same if you order a muffler with it, but you can ask :unsure:

304 will not rust.

On a 20 yr ol' car, the leak could be from anywhere. Are there common leaks on that gen Accord? Sure, but IDK their spots.
But after 20 yrs, nothing is considered common. You need to get the car in the air to find it.

Good luck and I'm sure it was a nice find. Any pics? (y)

You could try locating the leak with a helper to hold a rag tightly over the tail pipe end with engine running while looking for the leak.

Use a shop vac (exhaust side) and pressurize the exhaust system at the tailpipe. Then spray soapy water on the exhaust pipes to find your leak.

Back