Excessive Oil Consumption - 2004 Honda Odyssey

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would be hard to compare oil consumption before vs after the head job, as there was oil leaks (nothing major, but annoying) before all the work. I believe it was the rear main seal leaking, and oil leaking past the head gasket (external leak causing some oil to drip down the side of the block).

I only drove the van for a couple months before the repairs and there was no long highway trips. If I remember correctly, I put about 2k on the van in that time (I changed oil right after I bought it), and it was about half a quart low. So my best guess is that the oil consumption was less severe before the repairs.

I pulled a couple of the plugs (new ones were installed after the head work) and they look fantastic, no hint of oil burning or fouling. They are a perfect tan as one would expect from a new, cleaning running engine.

I think I will keep driving it and report back if it improves or gets worse. I replaced the PCV valve post head-gasket with a new one, but might try an OEM unit. I certainly do think that it uses more oil on long highway drives, as that seems to be when I am adding the most oil. I don't have any long trips planned for the foreseeable future, so there's a good chance the consumption may improve with short trips and less highway miles-- I will report back with what I find.

From the FSM (if you don't have it):

"At idle, make sure there is a clicking sound from the
PCV valve when the hose between the PCV valve
and intake manifold is lightly pinched (A) with your
fingers or pliers.
If there is no clicking sound, check the PCV valve
grommet for cracks or damage. If the grommet is
OK, replace the PCV valve and recheck."

Perhaps next time you have the rear valve cover off you could verify that the screened area leading to the PCV valve grommet is clear as well. Good luck and enjoy the ride.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back