Excellent Customer Service( Best Buy )

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems like everyone is always complaing about customer service these days. So many companies treat customers like they are dirt these days that when you get treated right it really stands out. Thought I would share a great story with Best Buy today.

Last summer I bought a new GPS from Best Buy. Normally I don't buy extended warranties but it was cheap enough( $29 for 3 years )that I figured what the heck. If the GPS had any issues in 3 years I could walk in to Best Buy and get it dealt with vs having to deal directly with the mfg.

I only used it a couple times and it worked fine. Recently I upgraded my car radio to one with GPS so I no longer needed the one I got at Best Buy. Threw it on E-Bay and sold it to a guy for a fair price.

Unfortunately, it turns out there was a problem with it I didn't know about( issues with POI's which I didn't use so I didn't know ). I told him to send it back and I would refund the money. I was mortified that it happened as I am as honest as they come but the guy was really nice and even gave me great feedback despite the issues.

( Yes we will get to Best Buy shortly
crackmeup2.gif
)

I got to thinking as I was waiting for it to get here that I had bought that extended warranty. I couldn't find the paperwork though and figured I was up the creek. The GPS arrived today so just to see I called Best Buy and they were able to find the info for me on the warranty. The guy on the phone was AWESOME and even setup an appointment for me at the local store for Geek Squad support.

When I got there they checked it out, agreed there was an issue, and took me back to the GPS section to get a new one. Turns out they don't carry that model any longer so I was upgraded to it's replacement( more features and more expensive )at no charge. They cancelled the extended warranty and are going to issue a pro rated refund on that to boot. So I got a new GPS at no charge that was newer and better than the original one. The new GPS cost more than the old one + warranty by $50 as well so this was a good deal for me!

NO hassle or problems at all. There was a slight delay as the guy handling my case was new and he had to be walked through the steps to upgrade a replacement at no charge but it was handled fast and easy.

What can you say but great job Best Buy. Now, I agree this is how it "SHOULD" have gone with my extended warranty but we all know things seldom ever go how they should.

I offered to send the new GPS to the guy who bought the old one instead of a refund to try and do right by him. As long as he agrees that I am now off the hook for any responsibility for the GPS I will send this new one to him. He can register it under his name and deal with the GPS mfg now if any problems do come up( shouldn't as it is brand new ). This way we both win.

Just thought I would share a good customer service story.

thumbsup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif
for Best Buy

That's great

Why don't you sell the GPS as a new item?

You'll get more money then the old used one.

I just sold a used camera on Amazon and it was a far better experience than Ebay as it was added to the existing listing and there was less competition for potential buyers to sort through. You only need to undercut the existing low price by $10 and it will sell quickly.

Having worked at Best Buy I can definitely inform you, either the manager at that store isn't incredibly greed-driven by the corporate bureaucracy of Best Buy, or the store is doing so insanely well they're willing to actually do the right thing.

Because the store I worked at hah; I was a rare one, I wanted to be helpful, I wanted to make people happy, but the people above me didn't understand why we should bother trying to help anyone who wasn't just buying overpriced accessories, services or warranties, for instance.

Happy things worked for you!

There is a pretty recent push by the executives at BestBuy to greatly increase customer service and professionalism by the staff at ALL their stores. The writing is on the wall for BB and they know it, the best asset they can use to combat the internet for purchases is to have excellent well trained, professional, personal customer service.

I think the message is FINALLY getting through.

Actually I think the original owner of the stores was looking to buy out the company and take it private as well.

Originally Posted By: EType

Why don't you sell the GPS as a new item?

You'll get more money then the old used one.

I know I could do that but I am trying to do the right thing buy the guy who bought the old one. I got a pretty good price for the old one as it was basically new, and he was so understanding about me not realizing the one I sold had that issue, that I figure I owe it to him to try and make it right. I am not out any actually in hand money and if this makes up for my error and makes this guy happy I am good with it.

Belive me I thought about just refunding his money and then selling this new one but that little voice in my head says offer it to him instead of a refund.

Originally Posted By: RiceCake
Having worked at Best Buy I can definitely inform you, either the manager at that store isn't incredibly greed-driven by the corporate bureaucracy of Best Buy, or the store is doing so insanely well they're willing to actually do the right thing.

Because the store I worked at hah; I was a rare one, I wanted to be helpful, I wanted to make people happy, but the people above me didn't understand why we should bother trying to help anyone who wasn't just buying overpriced accessories, services or warranties, for instance.

Happy things worked for you!

I have had returns at this Best Buy before and they have always been very good about it. Those returns were always shortly after purchase though( parts missing or new item not working ). This was something a year later under extended warranty that had to be upgraded to a newer model so I was wondering how it would go. Couldn't have asked for a better outcome.

Last edited:
You're going above and beyond for the buyer, so kudos for that.

IMO best buy makes hand over fist on warranty sales (even if the company is losing money overall), so what they did is to be expected.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
There is a pretty recent push by the executives at BestBuy to greatly increase customer service and professionalism by the staff at ALL their stores. The writing is on the wall for BB and they know it, the best asset they can use to combat the internet for purchases is to have excellent well trained, professional, personal customer service.

I think the message is FINALLY getting through.

Actually I think the original owner of the stores was looking to buy out the company and take it private as well.

To late for me. I've had too many very poor encounters with that store.

And poor prices. When I went in and they refused to match amazon on an exact item, I walked and didn't look back.

Yep, in a few years Amazon will put lots of people out of business.

People like you go 'window shopping' at a retail store and then buy online, really can't blame you.

Originally Posted By: DragRace
thumbsup2.gif

Best Buy has always treated me fair.

Same here. Great computer repair service by the Geek Squad.

NHHEMI, you are a good soul with integrity. My wife and I are the same. We just sold our Caravan and went overboard to disclose every single issue it had and knocked off a couple hundred dollars extra. We made much more than trading it, but the buyer made a good deal also. Pay it forward.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
And poor prices. When I went in and they refused to match amazon on an exact item, I walked and didn't look back.

For my area they have price matched everything for me. I have it on my phone and show them and they always say no problem. I rarely buy stuff from them unless I absolutely need it. Otherwise its always amazon and no tax.

The have had Horrible customer service down here. Very rude and unprofessional. NEVER AGAIN will I waist my money with such an incompetently run place.

That is actually normal for warranty service. If they cannot fix they give you a replacement or upgrade if not available.

The real issue with their warranty is if they "can fix" they will. And you loose your item 2-3 weeks. I had a gifted digital camera break 4 times same issue and they "fixed" every time loosing it for over 10weeks. They refused to replace it.

Finally my wife dropped into pool. She got it out we return and then got a new one and newer model.

While that customer service at Best Buy was nice - it was also their OBLIGATION to you. So don't get to excited that you got waht your were owed.

On the other hand - the REAL customer service to the max person is YOU! You did right by the eBay buyer and deserve your reputation. You performed better than Best Buy .

How many places actually do what they are supposed to though or do it but make you jump through hurdles to get what you are owed? These days that is the norm not the service I received. As I said I know they did what they should have done but it was really nice to have that happen without any hassles. Was also nice to have them help me with the warranty info as I had lost the receipt.

Last edited:
I always liked Best Buy as a store, but have had hit-or-miss Customer Service by their (young) sales floor associates.

BestBuy.com
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back