Every afternoon @ 2pm, my workstation is hobbled

Status
Not open for further replies.
Massive disk activity from 2pm - 3 or so, every day. This is a workstation running Win 7 Enterprise. An I.T. contractor manages the network and the workstations, group policy stuff, etc. 4 gig laptop running so many background apps (for security...) that it would squeeze even an 8 meg machine for resources. So, I've eliminated the following as causes:

- Symantec Endpoint Protection
- MalwareBytes (Enterprise Ed.)
- Win 7 System Restore (turned off, since I.T. re-images from a base loadout upon any major problems)

In task mgr, none of the above are using any CPU cycles when the disk thrashing is going on. I'm talking about thrashing so bad that when you type in MS Word or what have you, you get ahead of the laptop and it spits your words out in batches trying to catch up.

In task mgr when the disk thrashing it going on the there are CPU cycles showing for NT Kernal and an SVChost process will show a lot of on and off use of CPU cycles, though it's never up long enough to drill down into it and see what services it is hosting. I have the running process sorted by CPU cycle usage descending to see this.

When the swap file (Windows Pagefile on disk) was set to auto, things were worse. I've since turned it off, deleted it, rebooted w/ no pagefile and done a defrag, then set a pagefile to a fixed size of... I forget, I think 8 gig. That helped some, setting a static fixed-size pagefile.

I.T. contractor help desk no help-- scratch their head and say all scans are set to run off-peak in the wee hours.

Laptop is left awake but locked during off-peak to make sure it executes all off-peak scans and doesn't postpone any due to sleep mode. The off-peak scans always show clean results.

If it wasn't an employer machine, would probably have taken a ball-peen hammer to it by now . . .

loook in scheduled tasks for defrags or virus scans. It can also be system management softwares run by corporate IT. If you have access you can try whatsrunning. It will show you a lot more about what is running than just the task manager. http://www.whatsrunning.net/

Are you allowed to set the system clock?
laugh.gif

Possibly backup running from the IT end ?

Updates of some sort ?

Is there a bug on the pc ?

lots of possible suspects. I generally wouldn't let 2 anti-malware/virus programs run together on a machine. That has caused more headaches than I care to remember.

Big brother collecting all your surfing activity at work.
laugh.gif
It's probably just a scheduled virus scan or back-up.

LOL Disk intensive programs rarely burn much CPU cycles... they are waiting on the disk which is an order of magnitude or two slower than the CPU.

See what's running and 2:00 and start killing processes until the disk churning stops.

Originally Posted By: earlyre
sounds to me, like they have one of those scheduled scans off by 12 hrs.

Yep, something seems wrong here. Alternatively, is everything set to update all at once?

Easy to normally figure out, you just need to do one of two things:

A. When it's happening (or before) open up task manager, go to the processes tab, go to view-Select columns and add PF Delta. Generally this will give clues as to what process is accessing the hard drive so much at the time but it doesn't always work.

B. Open up Resource Monitor, go to the Disk Tab, go to the Disk Activity subgroup and sort by Total (B/sec). This is the best way to find what is exactly causing the increased disk access.

Originally Posted By: BlitzPuppet
B. Open up Resource Monitor, go to the Disk Tab, go to the Disk Activity subgroup and sort by Total (B/sec).

This is exactly what I would do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back