Ever tried explaining what a steering wheel ignition lock is?

My wife was picking up our child from day camp today when I get a call that she can't start the car. She even used FaceTime and showed it to me, and I try to tell her to play around with it. It won't start nor get into neutral or drive. Then later on I figure it's got to be the steering wheel ignition lock, since this is a traditional key on the column. I parked it on the way, call her, and tell her to turn the wheel and she says she still can't start it.

So I get there, but only after looking around in three different parking lots until I figure that it's not a lot per se, and she actually parked quite a bit away from the drop-off/pickup point. But the parking spaces are in need of repair with some potholes. The front tires are lined up straight, but with one sitting on a pothole which likely put pressure against the steering mechanism. So I go right there, crank the steering wheel a tiny bit to the left, and start it immediately. She's amazed because she spend time trying to figure it out and couldn't.

Sometimes I wonder. This is one of the most basic things for anyone to try, and I even tried to explain it simply to turn the steering wheel before starting. But I had to be there in person to show what to do, and it ate up about an hour of my time getting there and back along with looking for where she parked.

One thing I've noticed is that wives commonly do not listen to their husbands. They appear to, but they are thinking what, in their minds, is two steps ahead. You almost have to intuit what they are thinking, pull them back, and then explain step by step, confirming each step before moving on, what they need to do. It can take a lot of diplomacy to get results without getting them upset with you for "treating them like a child".

One thing I've noticed is that wives commonly do not listen to their husbands. They appear to, but they are thinking what, in their minds, is two steps ahead. You almost have to intuit what they are thinking, pull them back, and then explain step by step, confirming each step before moving on, what they need to do. It can take a lot of diplomacy to get results without getting them upset with you for "treating them like a child".

Wife isn't like that. She may not listen, but she doesn't throw a fit. She's kind of passive when things don't work, but then expects me to show up. Now my father is another story. If he can't get things to work he gets frustrated. Especially with electronics. I have to go over just to do simple things. He used to have me come over simply because he couldn't get his printer working. It was just the selection in the drop down menu changed, and he couldn't select the proper one.

My Wife & all 3 of my Daughters have called me at one time or another for the exact same thing in the 2010 Toyota Corolla.....It was particularly bad about it, It caught me off guard a couple times after one of them have driven the car & had to pull on the wheel pretty hard before the key would turn. I can see a 90-119 pound female having difficulties.

But I needed to train them not to put pressure on the steering wheel & turn the car off at the same time.

If they cant figure out how to turn the wheel to start the car they should not drive. They are too dumb to be in a car.

Bet they are afraid to put the trans in N if the engine rpm went up high as well.

On the OBS Fords I remove the pin if I ever have the wheel off. AFAIK it's supposed to be a theft deterrent but I'm not much worried about people wanting to steal older vehicles in my area.

I always figured if one of my trucks should start rolling unexpectedly I'd want to be able to hop in and steer it. I also figured I'd be super pissed if I should wind up stranded in the backcountry should the mechanism fail, leaving the steering wheel locked (granted, VERY low odds)

It's OK to remove unneeded anti-theft stuff in my book.
Who's to say how a "pin" will break or where broken pieces settle?

I think warning about binding the steering column against a lock mechanism requires extremely precise description and physical example.
This detailed communication with so many unfamiliar terms is beyond many.

And yes on the obstinance. Ever try to alert people to potholes?

Ha, how many parents and drivers ed instructors do you think ever mentioned lock binding?.

Wife's 91 DeVille was like this but not as bad. If you put it in park with the wheels turned one way or the other you always had to move the steering wheel before the ignition would turn but if they were straight like pulling into the garage no problem.

Back