Ever lose interest in a project?

I used to love buying the muscle cars and maintain them. I would buy the newest ones I could afford. I restored a very nice 1969 RS/SS Camaro hugger orange and loaded. It cost me tons of money and I lost my job and sold it. I like just turning the key and maintaining my 2005 Corvette I bought brand new. Some day I will sell it and get a fairly new one or a brand new one. I started finishing the stock on a Browning BPS mag 10 shotgun. I botched it up and paid $200.00 to have it done right. I am not good at most projects unfortunately. I admire those street rodder types that can do it all. I like buying new or almost new and keeping it up.

I hope OPs customer is paying top dollar.

What kind of douche wants an aftermarket AC install in some classic hot rod but then specs no new holes at all b/c it's a numbers matching rare unobtanium masterpiece?

The same kind who'll complain that due to the basic laws of physics it won't blow ice cubes in under 30 seconds.

If I wanted AC in my biscayne I'd ask my mechanic what in his best judgement would be the best way to go about it and then let him use his discretion.

I hope OPs customer is paying top dollar.

What kind of douche wants an aftermarket AC install in some classic hot rod but then specs no new holes at all b/c it's a numbers matching rare unobtanium masterpiece?

The same kind who'll complain that due to the basic laws of physics it won't blow ice cubes in under 30 seconds.

If I wanted AC in my biscayne I'd ask my mechanic what in his best judgement would be the best way to go about it and then let him use his discretion.
You have common sense thats why.

It's not that I lost interest in these projects. I guess I'm just waiting to retire to start on these. (BTW, retirement is a long ways off for me)
I took some shots of the chrome on these vehicles. Some of you know the approximate year. Most of the millennials won't. :cool:

Attachments

• f100.JPG
    f100.JPG
    25.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 60ford.JPG
    60ford.JPG
    12.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 59chev.JPG
    59chev.JPG
    14 KB · Views: 11
  • gmc.JPG
    gmc.JPG
    13.1 KB · Views: 11
  • henryJ.JPG
    henryJ.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 11
I'm very guilty of taking on far too many projects. I do generally finish them, but sometimes I just say **** it and write it off. It's easy to start feeling overwhelming and boxed in.

One example, I got a "free" hot tub once. Spent an afternoon moving it. Drew up plans to expand my deck to a 2-3 level deck. Spent time thinking about it. Then the weather turned and it had to wait until next summer. Then I really lost interest. That **** hot tub sat in my back yard leaned against a fence under a tarp for probably 3 or 4 years before I just abandoned the notion entirely. THANKFULLY I did not have to pay to have it hauled to the dump. Some other sucker took it off my hands, and probably did just as I did. lol.

Yeah, sometimes "free" is not free, it comes with a big burden of another project.

For me the biggest throwing in of the towel was my 94 Ranger STX full manual 4X4. That truck should have been the holy grail of small Ford truck awesomeness, but I almost came to hate it. It wasn't entirely the truck's fault (6+ abusive owners will do it), but it had been a hot potato since the 90s. I actually put over 30k on it and took it on multi state trips, but it wore me out and I never could fully trust it. It's the only vehicle I've had towed due to a mechanical breakdown, and that happened multiple times. That's a threshold for me. I drug a 94 Explorer out of the grave in 2018, and once it was reliable the Ranger mostly sat. Even once I was confident I fixed the stalling, the clutch pedal bushing broke, then the starter went out, then the solenoid on the replacement starter shorted and burned up the signal wire. I was done and had it towed straight to a friend who worked out a deal to fix, sell, and split profits. Buyer loved the truck, bet he doesn't now if he still has it. Biggest POS truck I've ever owned and it was a manual trans, manual t-case 4x4 truck with great options. I did enjoy it at times, and it could party hard until it broke down, but it was too much.

Back