Ever lose interest in a project?

At my last job I really enjoyed custom work. An old customer found me and asked if I would do a side job I jumped on it. Figured a few nights after work and I would be done.

Then the problems began.

Having a tough time finding parts. When I do find them the price is sky high.

Finally got most of what I need.

Then the extreme temps hit. 110-120+ for weeks now. Too hot to work outside on it. By the time it cools off I have to get ready for bed.

The condenser was a bear to find. I did not want to put one that's too small in the car. I found a big one and one I thought was too small so I got the big one. It's a big car so it needs all the condenser I can fit in it.

Can't blame the owner but he does not want anything cut or holes drilled.

I think I had the radiator/ condenser setup in and out 15x!

The condenser mounts to the radiator so I made brackets. The guy decided to have me put a new radiator in it while I had it apart. My brackets don't fit the new radiator! It's off just enough. Back to making new brackets.

There is no room to mount the receiver drier up front like he wants. At least nothing I was happy with. I tried for days trying to mount it. It's just too close and may rub a hole in that new condenser.

I don't need that kind of a comeback.

Can't drill holes in the inner fenders ( understandable) to mount it there. I ended up putting it on the side of the compressor its self for now as there are extra unused holes there. The other lines and hoses in that area will cover it. Plus with it there I can use the port on it for my combination charge port/ high pressure cut out switch.

I have become frustrated and have completely lost interest in the job. I must finish it though.

I have come to the realization that I just don't have time to do this kind of side job and work my day job.

I do for a period of time then I usually go back to them. Like I haven’t worked on the beetle in two months. Have I wanted too? Sort of but sort of not just being so tired and worn out from work each day. Plus with nobody to help me it kinda sucks trying to trace down all the wires and mark them. I’ve got 8 cars 4 are projects so I always have something to work on if I get bored with the others.

If it’s customer projects some I will do and some I will politely decline. Like my old boss told the Craftsman guy where I was working now and he showed up to my new work and asked if I wanted to do some work to his sons car at his house. I politely declined telling him that type of job isn’t really something you’d do in a driveway which it’s not.

I am at a point in life where I don't want to start anything I will have to finish.

I have been an industrial electrician for a living for close to 20 years. I am fully capable of doing side project on houses and other things. I have found I value my free time more than what I can make doing side jobs and just don’t care for anything other than industrial. People who are looking to hire someone to do a job in their spare time are not wanting to pay what it would take to get a full time company to do it for them so it puts you between a rock and a hard place. You want to give the customer a deal and make enough money to make your time worth it. Working full time in an industrial environment takes it out of you leaving very little motivation to put in to doing the same work for less money when you could be relaxing or spending time with the family.

Bottom line is that if you have the drive to do side jobs and make money and enjoy it you should be doing it for a living. The problem is doing it for a living can take the fun out of it.

Currently 105f in my garage. Yuck

Attachments

• IMG_20210718_150843402.jpg
    IMG_20210718_150843402.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 2
I have been an industrial electrician for a living for close to 20 years. I am fully capable of doing side project on houses and other things. I have found I value my free time more than what I can make doing side jobs and just don’t care for anything other than industrial. People who are looking to hire someone to do a job in their spare time are not wanting to pay what it would take to get a full time company to do it for them so it puts you between a rock and a hard place. You want to give the customer a deal and make enough money to make your time worth it. Working full time in an industrial environment takes it out of you leaving very little motivation to put in to doing the same work for less money when you could be relaxing or spending time with the family.

Bottom line is that if you have the drive to do side jobs and make money and enjoy it you should be doing it for a living. The problem is doing it for a living can take the fun out of it.
My rule is side jobs must pay more per hour than what I earn per hour overtime rate at work. Don’t even consider it otherwise

Lose interest in a project? Doing an old Vette will break your mind, spitit and checking account. I have no idea how much time and $$ I have in this car. It is worth a fraction of what I have in it. A couple of years ago I gave it to my BIL to finish the interior. Today the paint and body work alone would be $20K easily. Yeah, it's a fun classic, but my education is bought and paid for!
This is a late model year 1968. Early models used left over '67 parts, there are '68 only parts, and some '68 parts work on '69s.
68 shiny.jpg

I turned 45 this year and my desire for projects has certainly slowed. Maybe the fact new cars look like the old ones, but have AC, comfy seats, and get over 20mpg’s.
I’m slowly losing interest in fixing up my YJ, but I know $ is the first reason. Second is i just don’t want to….I’d rather just drive.

I've got a Mustang GT that I built up years ago for car shows / drag racing. I always wanted to get it completed so my dad could have a ride in it. Unfortunately,he died of Cancer. Since then,the car has mainly been collecting dust for years now. It's complete but the desire is gone.

Last edited:
Back