Ever had a engine or Transmission failure?

Yes, back in college when I was dating my wife she drove her grandmas 1996 Chrysler Cirrus. The one with oil sludge producing v6 that in a previous life lived to drive 5 miles to the post office at caterpillar speed. Anyway I took this car to pick up take out, as soon as I put it in reverse I heard a loud clunk. Not thinking too much about it I drove and a rattle would increase with speed. I make it the three miles to the restaurant and the three miles back home followed by an oil slick like you see in nascar races when something goes boom. Look under it and I can see a hole in the transmission/transaxle case😂. New trans, and we graduate get married and somehow that car lasted 100k but the oil light was flickering when we sold it. Dipstick had chunks of sludge on it😮
41te loves to throw the diff pin as its only held in with a roll pin

2 Evo engines, both my fault for poor parts installation. That was expensive.

1.0L focus engine, factory timing belt should have been changed 130k miles prior. My fault, again.

Today marks 9 years since this.

1000000739.jpg
1000000738.jpg
1000000737.jpg

The stick shift on my Saturn SW1 got real crotchety about going into 1st gear. I don't blame the fluid.

The receipts that came with it indicated the drain plug threads were sketchy, so I left well enough alone. Saturn said change the fluid at 6000 miles then never again, FWIW.

The synchros were bad as long as I had it, and I was fine with double clutching, and competent at it. Eventually even that wouldn't work, though all the other gears worked fine.

The car also had a failing headliner, off-track window, rusty door sills, and I forget what else, so I dumped it. I took it as a sign that the nickels and dimes I had been avoiding were coming home to roost, to mix metaphors.

I had a 1985 Audi 5000 turbo. At around 75,000 miles, I was driving down the road, and the transmission went "Boom" but kept going. About 1000 miles later, the automatic transmission would not shift out of first gear from a toll booth. Had to drive 25 miles in first to the next exit.

The engine never gave any trouble, but other than that, the car became rather troublesome after 90,000 miles. I sold it to my mechanic at 140,000 miles.

The automatic transmission in my wife's 1988 Nissan Sentra gave up the ghost 230 km from home.

My 1999 VW Passat came to a distressing end when the timing belt snapped, 35km from home.

1968 Rambler 2nd gear could not be entered

1979 Chevy 5.7 Diesel pickup head blew at 120,000 free GM Goodwrench which lasted through rust out

1982 Diesel Suburban 2wd bought with failed 700r4, 5 sp stick lasted through rust out at 438,000 miles

1989 Diesel suburban 700r4 failed at 150000, replaced, engine blew crank after the harmonic dumped 25,000 miles later

1998 Buick Lesabre 3800 120000 miles plastic garbage broke dumping fluid in the engine seizing it, GM denied the recall issue replaced with 2001 3800 w/ trans

My Niece bought a low mile RAV4 that blew the transmission at 65,000 miles a few months later, no warranty or recall, transmission cost more than the car.

2001 Honda Insight need to rev match for 1 or 2 due to a defective “tab “ design

2002 TDI Glow plugs, harness and injection pump failed at 105,000
Transmission was surging rpm’s on highway at 125,000 miles

2010 Cobalt Timing chain went at 65,000 miles, oil was changed often GM partially covered repair

Last edited:
I didn’t have a “failure”- but i did have a problem. I proactively changed the automatic transmission fluid on a 2008 Honda Civic with the recommended Amsoil transmission fluid at 30K miles. It started shuddering when pulling away from a stop. After about a week I took it in to a local Honda dealer, who informed me I needed a new transmission. When I went home and told my wife, she said “it didn’t do that before you changed the fluid”. A light bulb went off. I changed the fluid again- only with factory fluid. The shudder immediately ceased. I had been using Amsoil products for 20 years previous to this- so I didn’t think that would be the issue. I gave the car to my granddaughter for her 16th birthday- and she has put over 100K trouble free miles since then. I changed the fluid with factory fluid again at 85K and had no issues that time either.

Transmissions:

1959 DeSoto A466 (cast iron case early 727 Torqueflite). Loaned the car to some girls during one deployment in 1972. Mistake. Trans failed shortly after. Rebuild cost $300 in 1972.

1970 Dodge Coronet. 318 V8 but had a 904 auto ("torqueflite6") instead of a 727. Failed on the road, no movement possible. Rebuild cost $600 in 1979.

Engine:

2001 Olds Intrigue. 3.5 LX-5 "shortstar" V6. It had been my parent's last car when they had to quit driving due to poor vision. Then I bought it. I went through everything on the car, fixing what was neglected and also what was wrong since new. After some enjoyable long road trips, I drove through a fairly deep puddle on the road (3-4 inches). Shortly after, all the overheating issues began. The water dousing the all-aluminum engine had sprung the cylinder head bolts. Famous GM design defect similar to the Cadilac NorthStar engine issue.

Here is another one...another skinny rod motor, 21-22psi with a smaller turbo. It actually still ran...drove it about half mile to a safe spot off the road. Then drove it onto my buddies trailer, then into my shop to replace. I have that rod and piston on my wall of shame.

View attachment 215974

View attachment 215975

View attachment 215976

View attachment 215977

View attachment 215978

View attachment 215979

View attachment 215980

View attachment 215981

View attachment 215982

View attachment 215983
Wow

Transmission in1990 Aerostar van at 120,000 miles.

Not a failure but maintenance not up to date: timing belt went on a 1982 Reliant K car. Coasted to a stop right by a repair shop. That 2.2 is a non-interference engine so no damage from pistons hitting the valves. Say what you want about K cars, but for us that Plymouth was a great car and I sold it to buy the above Aerostar van when the third child came along.

Last edited:
Had the 3-speed auto in a 1999 Cavalier fail at ~235k miles. We towed with that car so that likely had something to do with it.

2.4 4-cyl in a 2007 Camry still ran but burned so much oil it started blowing smoke and wouldn't pass emissions. Known defect with these engines.

Blown up a few transmissions in modified cars. I did put a 383 stroker in my 91 Corvette. I have helped replace engines in other vehicles.
I have blown some head gaskets on mid to late 80s turbo Dodges. You have to make power and use it to to have a catastrophic failure.

many years back.
1999 ford explorer 4.0 liter.
It had an external coolant leak/ faulty head gasket from what the dealer told me. It wasn't overly high mileage on it.
took to Ford dealer to have head gasket replaced. I didn't make it 60 miles and the engine started making abnormal noise.
The ford dealer didn't do an oil change after the service, and sent it out with the same fluids in it.
I changed the oil after driving about 40 minutes, or 30 miles, and it looked horrible. Cut the filter open, and it already had shiny specks in it.

Ever since then I have lost my trust in dealers, & try to do as much of my own work as I can.
They offered no assistance.

The engine was replaced, but unfortunately the girlfriend at the time had a low speed rollover on muddy gravel roads and probably done some damage to the engine being upside down for awhile.

Engine went shortly after that rollover too.
the pistons were hydro-locked when we tried to restart it.
Should have removed the spark plugs.

I think it was on its 4th engine when I got rid of it, but heard the last owner had no issues

We often talk about the importance of quality fluids for our vehicles. However we often hear little to nothing about failures that may have occurred due to the fluids.

My question is basically have you ever had an engine or transmission fail and what caused it.

In over 4 decades of driving and dozens of newer and used vehicles I have never had a transmission fail. I did however have an engine failure on an old Ford Festiva. Something in the valvetrain broke and made horrendous noise. Not sure of the cause because I junked it with about 150,000 miles. I also had an Olds Delta 88 with the 3800 motor hydrolock a cylinder due to intake gasket failure and threw a rod thru the block. I guess that isn't too bad of a record.

How about you?
Define "fail". Yes, engine. 2002 Honda Civic known as the "EP3". 2.0L engine exhaust cam lobes destroyed after about 50k miles. I bought it used with about 30k miles and maintenance records had regular oil changes. The next 150k miles were trouble free until I traded it in. I still see it in town and talked with the guy in a parking lot. Asked him about his car and then told him it used to be mine (same plates and small dents on it...I pointed out where I'd done some interesting fixes on it). He said he hasn't had major issues. Still he original alternator 🤣 He had it past 250k.

2003 GMC Safari, 131k miles - Transmission, 4L60E; roasted 3-4 clutches.
1982 Pontiac Bonneville, ~121k miles - Engine, 4.1L V6; timing chain, stripped cam sprocket.

I rebuilt the transmission in the Safari and drove it until someone in a Mini opened their door when I drove by. Donated the van this year.

The Bonneville was towed into my father's shop. Other than the engine, it was a nicely equipped car. The owner had parked the car after it stopped running and no longer wanted it. I gave him $200, replaced the timing set and drove it for another +100k miles. The engine had been badly neglected, it had a bad rod knock and ping; the EGR passages in the intake were plugged solid with carbon.

Back