Ever had a cracked flex plate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last week I found our 05 caravan had a cracked flex plate, the transmission had to be removed to replace it ($60 part) the van only has 109,000 miles. I was just wondering if anyone else has seen this before.

When I was in the repair business for 20 years it was something we might see 2-3 times a year on various models.

When I did some research it seems the dodge minivans encounter this problem more than other newer vehicles. I've heard of tranny problems on dodge vans but not flex plates.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Had one on my 70 elcamino and it sounded like a rod knock.

I had the same experience on a small block Chevy, and the same perception.

Originally Posted By: Buick92
Last week I found our 05 caravan had a cracked flex plate, the transmission had to be removed to replace it ($60 part) the van only has 109,000 miles.

One too many smokey burnouts I bet..
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Had one on my 70 elcamino and it sounded like a rod knock.

Many of cars have been scrapped because the owner thought that their engine was on the last leg when it was just the flex plate. The last one I ran into was on an old Fairmont. On second thought, that car probably should have been scrapped.

Originally Posted By: Buick92
Last week I found our 05 caravan had a cracked flex plate, the transmission had to be removed to replace it ($60 part) the van only has 109,000 miles. I was just wondering if anyone else has seen this before.

More common than you might think.

Us old school drag racers know about this one. I've dealt with half a dozen or so in my whole life, it's commonly mis-diagnosed as a rod knock or engine issue.

Yeah, I saw a fair bit of that in my past life wrenching. Sometimes it made very strange noises that could be hard to pin down. Once in a while, you pulled a trans out for another reason and found the flex plate cracked but there were no symptoms at all.

Yup, I ended up hitching home from Boston one night when a buddie's father's 65 Belair 283/ powerglide broke the remaining metal. There is a reason they are called flex plates.
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back