Evap vent '02 Subaru P1443

D60

I'm working on an '02 Forester with a P1443. The solenoid audibly triggers in "test" mode.

I pulled the solenoid and engaged it. I'm unable to blow through it at all when engaged.

However I understand resistance spec is 30-50 ohms. I come up with 25.7. So, would you replace the solenoid regardless solely based on being out of spec here? Could this cause a P1443?
20240222_102404.jpg

I'm working on an '02 Forester with a P1443. The solenoid audibly triggers in "test" mode.

I pulled the solenoid and engaged it. I'm unable to blow through it at all when engaged.

However I understand resistance spec is 30-50 ohms. I come up with 25.7. So, would you replace the solenoid regardless solely based on being out of spec here? Could this cause a P1443?View attachment 204842
Absolutely yes. It's obviously not opening properly.

Reactions: D60
P1443 is a EVAP vent performance DTC, Either the system can't Vent or it can't Seal.

I would not replace the vent solenoid over a few ohm's of resistance assuming it flows at rest.

Check for clogged vent hoses, Clogged canister etc.

You should not be able to blow through it when it is energized it will be closed. The ecm closes it to perform a leak test. Connect the green connectors together under the dash, turn on the key and all the solenoids with energize so you can at least check if they are functional.

You should not be able to blow through it when it is energized it will be closed. The ecm closes it to perform a leak test. Connect the green connectors together under the dash, turn on the key and all the solenoids with energize so you can at least check if they are functional.

Yep already did that. That was "test" mode I referred to in Post #1. Thus, the ECM can trigger it if desired and it would seem the wiring checks out.

I cannot blow through it energized. It seems to flow freely when not energized

In that vid he says he would replace based upon 26 ohms, which is why I asked. However, he says he was also able to blow through it "a little" when energized and I am not experiencing that.

Smoke machines are actually pretty cheap on Amazon.
It's not referencing a leak here. It believes there is a problem with the "EVAP vent control function." I'm not opposed to smoking it but do not believe this would be SOP #1 for a P1443?

I just checked a known good working one that I replaced on one of these Suby evap expeditions, it reads 24.9 ohms, that is not to say yours is okay but it seems that around 25 ohms is not uncommon, temp also has an effect on ohms. Does this one have a small filter on the canister?

Back