Estimate on new porch (composite) - Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our front porch is 30 years old and it has been on it's way out the past few years. I've tried to keep up with small repairs to secure deck boards and the like, but it's time for a complete rebuild due to wood rot and the overall condition. It is just not safe at this point... And due to my overwhelming amazon ordering, I fear for the UPS/Fedex/USPS people!
lol.gif
Especially come winter...

A neighbor across the street just had their porch redone, which they found out in process that it wasn't exactly built to code relative to the footers and all that. Likely, that means mine isn't as well. There is also a load bearing beam and some other stuff, so it's not something I want to take on myself (or have the time for, honestly).

He found a really good contractor that he highly recommended, who did a fantastic job. He had mentioned they were a little more pricey than other contractors he had looked into, but said their workmanship, materials and everything else was top notch. They have been in business over 20 years.

We are in a development that shares like-homes, and their new porch is easily the best looking on the street. It utilizes composite decking and railings, Fiberon Symmetry brand. Other people on our street had 100% lumber rebuilds, but the end result doesn’t even look as good as the original (weaker looking, actually)… Some are even crooked, believe it or not. So given it’s a main focal point when you approach our home, I want it done right.

With the help of google earth, here is another neighbors house (identical... NOT the porch that was rebuilt, just for size/style reference!)

porch.jpg

Discussing the project, they had quoted $4200 for all pressure treated lumber, or $5400 out the door for composite decking/railings and vinyl coverings for all the posts and other stuff. This includes tear-down, removal of all material, new foundation/footers and construction of the new porch. Everything is covered when complete, you can't see between steps or under the main decking by the door.

How does the cost seem for those familiar with such projects for composite (Fiberon Symmetry, Fiberon’s best composite available), given the size of the porch pictured above?

Last edited:
I just did a treated lumber porch 10x24 covered for about $8000. $4000 for wood $4000 for labor. Usually the labor is the cost of the materials. Seems high for that size.

Last edited:
After I retired we looked into closing in our backyard covered patio into living space. All the estimates were in the $22K to $27K range. Our patio is 10' X 20', or approx. 200 Sq. Ft. That came to around $120.00 a square foot. This was for a first class, permitted job that included it's own heating and cooling system.

After checking with a few real estate people we decided against it. The reason is because it would not have added that much to the overall value of the house. We're not sure if we are going to stay here for the rest of our lives or not. If we intended to remain here until we both died, we would do it in a heartbeat.

But you have to be careful when you start pouring money into a home. Some improvements are far more financially recoverable than others. Kitchens and bathrooms..... Yes. Swimming pools and room additions...... Not so much. It almost always comes down to how much you want it, what is it going to cost, and how long you intend to stay there.

If only a 1,200 difference for composite a no brainer IMO. I had a quote on mine and it was several thousand difference so I had mine repaired in lieu of replacing. Composite is the way to go if affordable. As to the pricing, that is tough as each part of the country is different so suggest getting at least two more quotes, amazing how much difference there can be in the quotes and maybe get some different ideas as well

After having dealt with a poor contractor on my garage project, that would be the most important
thing to me. Your neighbor had a great experience with this contractor, highly recommended, did great work
and the final product looks great. Don't end up like the other neighbors who maybe paid a little less but ended up
with not as nice of a product, get this guy to do it right, hassle free and you will be happier in the long run. Saving a few bucks
isn't the way to go on some things.

I used Trex 15 years ago on our deck. Soft, easily scratched, springy even at manufacturer recommended joist spacing, moss growing even on full sun exposure. I would not recommend this product.

The stairs look somewhat steep. Perhaps if permitted, reduce the slope of the steps. Add a vertical board at the step riser for safety. Perhaps lighting in the risers.

That's a lot for a porch that size. I'm certain he isn't the only contractor that can build a nice porch that size. I'd shop around. Honestly you can probably do it yourself if you're handy, it isn't that big a porch.

Reminds me of when I replaced our deck. I priced out the materials and it came to about 8k. Then I asked for some bids to build it they ran from 20 to 30k. LOL so I got to thinking and asked the better half what she thought about a patio. When I found a contractor that was willing to travel over 15 miles to do the job I had him come out and give me an estimate. The thing with the Patio it wasn't going to be replaced for a lot longer than a wood or composite deck. Well he gave me the bid the patio two large planter boxes, concrete porch and a retainer along the drive way 8K. Once a year I pressure wash it the aggregate looks great and I don't need to ever paint it.

Originally Posted By: bugeye
I used Trex 15 years ago on our deck. Soft, easily scratched, springy even at manufacturer recommended joist spacing, moss growing even on full sun exposure. I would not recommend this product.

The stairs look somewhat steep. Perhaps if permitted, reduce the slope of the steps. Add a vertical board at the step riser for safety. Perhaps lighting in the risers.

It's just the photo they look steep, in real life they are as standard/normal as stairs can be (at least on mine!). Typical angle and rise/run.

I heard some iffy stuff about Trex (even from the contractor when I discussed the project with them), which is with they use Fiberon supposedly, saying the quality is much better. I’m sure composites also have come quite a way in the past 15 years, I’d assume.

Appreciate the feedback everyone! I did reach out to one other contractor for quote and asked the neighbor what other types of quotes he had received for the same job, just to compare. I don’t mind paying more for quality and the ease of working with a specific contractor, and one who now has experience with the same porch, so that is a selling point. Trouble is, hard to find feedback/reviews on a lot of contractor companies that I look up. But we will see!

Originally Posted By: Schmoe
Stick with pressure treated wood. Composite is nothing but hype.
I agree with this. I have seen both age over many years and treated lumber does just fine. It also seems to flex less under heavy loads

Looks to me like the concrete walk/landing is lower than the surrounding turf. If it's also sloped towards the house, water will collect under the stairs. Not your house I know. However, if the grade isn't right then nothing built on it will be either.

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
Looks to me like the concrete walk/landing is lower than the surrounding turf. If it's also sloped towards the house, water will collect under the stairs. Not your house I know. However, if the grade isn't right then nothing built on it will be either.

Understood! But yeah, our home is actually fine… Water runs away from the house/steps, it’s not sloped towards the house. So we are all good there!

Your climate is very different. We don't have any freeze/thaw cycles like you do, nor much cold below 26°F. I've seen the composite stuff sag because additional support was not included when the original wood was replaced. It's not only the load it's also the long, hot Summer heat. Another thing I discovered is that it gets SCREAMING HOT on bare feet. Yikes!

On any porch/deck, it's very important which fastener is used and if exposed, the head height needs to be perfect. Just like when nailing down asphalt shingles. Not too high, not too low. Just right.

So just an update… I reached out to another contractor listed on the Fiberon finder, but they were unable to work within Cleveland for some reason, even though they are based literally right next to us… So I couldn’t even get a quote. Another vendor listed is out of business…

Spoke with a guy at work who had his deck quoted with another local vendor, and the pricing was comparable for the square footage with composite. It wasn’t out of line, so that made me feel better.

Asked my neighbor who else they had quote their porch and the pricing, but the one contractor who came out and quoted a cheaper price ended up leaving his notes at their house, took over a week to come pick it up, and eventually never followed up with them. They had a bad vibe from them and the whole “get what you pay for”.

When the contractor stopped by Saturday for our appointment, it confirmed my decision to go with them and sign the paperwork to move forward… Between talking about the construction methods, their carpentry staff (all college grads, drug tested, etc…) and the materials/experience, it was a pretty easy decision. Also, I went over to the neighbors porch and took a very close look at the work and was really impressed. So not just visually did it look good, but the detail and work up close (along with structural, solid as a rock!).

Porch is being installed in three weeks and will take three days. Also discussed kitchen renovations with them, which if all goes well may be working with them come winter when we do a full remodel).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back