Esso XD3 0W30 PAO synthetic - 95 Maxima VQ30DE

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just received my first ever results back from Blackston Labs.

This is for my 95 Maxima SE. The OCI was 8,000 kms on the nose (just under 5,000) miles. Mileage on the clock was 71,700 mostly highway. The OCI was 12.5 months and I ran Gumout Regane for 260 miles, just before the drain. I use a K&N panel filter.

The filter used was a Nissan OEM oil filter.

All readings were normal, except for chromium which was somewhat elevated.

1) Universal averages show typical wear metals for an oil from this type of engine after 8,600 km (sample was at 8,000 km). All elements showed average levels, with the exception of chromium which was a bit high at 9, with the universal average being 2.

They said this was something to keep an eye on. Chromium is from the rings. I will send in another sample in another 8,000 kms.

2) Air and oil filtration looked OK. Silicon was at 8, compared to a universal average of 12. I won't worry about using the K&N panel filter at this point. It has been in use since May 2004, 31735 kms (under 20k miles) and has never been cleaned and re-oiled.

3) The TBN read 3.8, showing lots of active additive left in the oil. However, they don't recommend extending the OCI beyond 8,000 kms until they know what is going on with the chromium.

4) I am not using oil and have no smoke upon start-up.

5) On par with universal averages - aluminum, nickel, silver, titanium.

6) Below universal averages - iron, lead, tin, molybdenum, boron, silicon, sodium magnesium

7) Above ua - chromium, copper, manganese, potassium calcium, phosphorus, zince, barium. All wer just slightly above with the exception of chromium.

8) Properties

SUS viscosity@ 210F 60.1 vs 58 -65
cST viscosity @ 100C 10.25 vs 9.6 - 11.9
Flashpoint in F - 390 vs >385
Fuel % ,0.5 vs Antifreeze % 0.0 vs 0.0
Water % 0.0 vs Insolubles 0.4 vs ,0.6
TBN 3.8

Any comments on these readings, particularly the chromium, would be appreciated.

I am a novice re: UOAs.

Thanks

bobo,
Can you list out all the numbers so we can see them-it would make it a lot easier to get a feel for everything. Thanks.

REDDOG

Here they are:

Elements in Parts -
Maxima Universal
Averages

Aluminum 4 4
Chromium 9 2
Iron 8 12
Copper 6 4
Lead 3 9
Tin 0 1
Molybdenum 12 60
Nickel 0 0
Managnese 3 1
Silver 0 0
Titanium 0 0
Potassium 2 1
Boron 4 38
Silicon 8 12
Sodium 6 8
Calcium 3537 2052
Magnesium 12 251
Phosphorus 1107 753
Zinc 1389 891
Barium 1 0

bobo,

Overall, I'd say things look pretty good. The chromium is definately way high-can't help but wonder if the Regane use is related(could explain the mildly elevated lead, as well). Iron looks pretty reasonable though so I wouldn't panic. I'd try another sample without the additives and see what happens.

Do you idle the car a lot? Short trips? I can't help but think the chromium is either a fuel dilution issue (with the fuel having since been evaporated out) or a reaction between your rings and the Regane (as I honestly have no experience with the product.)

Esso XD3 is stout, with a great tbn for over one year in service. I'd do another similar oil run with no additives and run another sample, as I said before. Good luck!

REDDOG

Please ignore the PM I sent you reddog as I see the post you made.

No, the vehicle is driven about 75% highway miles, with absolutely no 1 or 2 miles short hops. Idling is not an issue.

Start-up and drive off slowly after 30 seconds or so, given the aluminum block and 0w30 oil and mild winters here.

I suspect the Gumout Regane had something to do with the readings. I have only used Chevron Techron in the past and BG02 from the stealership.

The chromium is alarmingly bad...worst I've ever seen. Nothing else is bad so I'd be on the phone with Blackstone asking them if there could have been a huge mistake on that element.

I called Blackstone and they couldn't shed any light on the chromium reading, nor could Gumout Regane's distributor. They maintain Gumout doesn't contain chromium and they haven't encountered a problem with chromium in the past.

I am scratching my head over this one. I guess I will send in another UOA in 12 months time or 5,000 miles, whichever comes first, and not use any fuel additives this time.

Since I am not using oil or blowing any smoke at start-up, I can't help but think that I do not have a problem with my rings.

Last edited:
I agree, just sample again in the near future. I'd be more worried about the chromium if you had 80-100+ ppm of iron to go with it.

REDDOG

This reflects the additive levels in the XD 3 you are using. Heavy duty oils tend to be more robust in these particular elements.

Calcium is commonly used in motor oil detergents and both phosphorous and zinc are used in anti-wear/EP additives.

Good stuff! I think my VQ30DE loves this oil. At this time, I am not going to read too much into the elevated chromium level and will stay away from fuel additives prior to the next UOA.

Hello bobo, I have run XD3 0-30 in my QR25DEs for years, even my older Nissan, they love this oil. I cant speak for a 6 cyl Nissan, but, my QR25DE has a counter shaft for balance, I am told this really works the oil hard in these Nissans, thus I change the oil every 5-6k, I plan on doing an analysis soon after seeing your Chronium high level.

To note, Olympic a few years ago was doing 40K+ OCI using this 0-30 XD3 on a Toyota engine in a Pontiac product I believe and on a chev van, the analysis results are in this forum, they were stellar.

Good Luck
Cyprs

I recall Olympic posting. Didn't he run the XD3 in a taxi in Saskatchewan virtually around the clock for about 3 months in the winter about 2 years ago? From what I remember the oil was still good to go after about 40k kilometres (not miles IIRC).

I believe so bobo, he run XD3 in the vibe toyota engine and a GM ventura van if memory serves me right, they were cold stop and go hard miles. He did say they were fleet vehicles and the kms accumulated quickly, thus the long OCIs. Yes, it was Saskatchewan. Makes me feel pretty good having this oil in my Nissans for about 6k kms OCI.

To note, I started using XD3 0-30 a little before Olympic's posts, I took the 0-30 XD3 specs to the Nissan Service Department with specs on other SL oil for comparison, he gave XD3 a full thumbs up for Nissan engines. I've been driving Nissan/Datsun for 30 years now, they like a heavy oil in my experience, some in here have claimed the 0-40 XD3 works good in their Nissans too, I think the 0-30 is plenty heavy enough.

Also, if you have the 320k kms double steel time chain in your Nissan like my QR25DE, I believe this XD3 HDEO is great for chain life too.
Cyprs

I belong to Maxima.org and there is a 4th Gen Nissan like mine running strong at 430k miles somewhere in the US and lots at well over 300k. The engines are bullet proof. As far as the timing chains are concerned, I have read about very few failing. Typically, it is the tensioner that needs to be replaced once the mileage gets up there.

At 71k miles, I suspect my 95 Maxima SE is good to go for awhile.

I am still running the original front brakes and would be running the original rear brakes if I hadn't seized the right rear caliper two years ago as a result of not using the parking brake for about 5 years.

I digress. Back to oil!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bobo
I called Blackstone and they couldn't shed any light on the chromium reading, nor could Gumout Regane's distributor. They maintain Gumout doesn't contain chromium and they haven't encountered a problem with chromium in the past...

I also thought the chromium was from the Gumout, being used as a product octane booster...

I have driven Datsun/Nissan since 1977, I had a steel chain on a 1980 Datsun 720 series, 1952 cc engine. I had to adjust the chain sprocket twice when it went over 220K (cool system, one could move the sprocket two notches total to tighten a lose chain, third time I had to replace the chain, in those earlier years I never used a tough HDEO oil as I do now. Only 220k was not a long time.

Newer time chains on Nissans now are rated to go 320kms at scheduled maintenance, I do shoot for 450+kms out of any Nissans/Datsuns. I believe the newer ones are belts now on the sixes. Around the mid 90s there is probably good chance Nissan had that steel chain in your Maxima.

To note, my wife's boss owned an older altima 94 to 96 range, it ran like a swiss time piece up to about 380kms, no oil burned. The engine piled up on top end, the Nissan dealership told him that had he brought that altima in for the 320k time chain replacement at that correct maintenance period 70K kms ago, that altima would have easily gone 500K no problem. I wonder if long term HDEO use would have saved that chain and engine, never know I guess.

Good luck bobo,

Cyprs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back