Eschewing VW Spec'd Oil in Favor of...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
VW 502 in a 2.Slo is a joke. Mom's 1996 Passat specs no such oil and will run on ANYTHING. All 502 offers is extended drains.

If you want a good HD oil, Rotella 10w-30. If you want a HiMiles oil, either MaxLife or Mobil 1 High Miles 5w-30. I don't see the point of synth in that engine, other than M1 HM since it's HiMiles and it's cheap.

Forget 40 weight.

That's pretty much what I was assuming regarding 502 being spec'd in this engine only for the extended drains. I'm aware that some of the VW engines really do a number on punishing the oil and that in some cases even the VW spec'd oils aren't good enough to prevent wear over recommended OCIs - pics and a discussion were posted on here about some really nasty premature wear of something related to the cams in certain VWs following the manufacturers specs and OCIs.

It gets R-T6 in the summer but in the winter I want something thinner because the wife's driving is all short trips in town. I'm staying with a synthetic only for low temp flow properties.

Regarding high mileage oils, I've always been leery of putting them into such a "young" engine because of the seal swelling agents put those oils.

Regarding Syntec 5w40 - I can get that in the area but I'm looking for a w30 for the winter. As for M1 0w40, my Walmart does not stock it.

Someone suggested buying GC on the internet. For the price I've seen I could order an Elf/Total 0w30 through certain online retailers or go with Shcaffer's 5w40 for much much cheaper ($80 per case of 12).

10w-30 Rotella Semi-Synth is the same visc as 5w-40 around freezing. Won't stay as thick when heated. Pretty ideal. 10w-30 high MIles oils will be a hair thinner, and of course 5w-30. GC isn't particularly thin in cold. In fact, dino and High Miles 5w-30 should be thinner than GC until you get to teens below zero F.

The hard-on oil VWs are the 1.8T and 2.0T. the 2.Slo and V6 are very easy on oil.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
10w-30 Rotella Semi-Synth is the same visc as 5w-40 around freezing. Won't stay as thick when heated. Pretty ideal. 10w-30 high MIles oils will be a hair thinner, and of course 5w-30. GC isn't particularly thin in cold. In fact, dino and High Miles 5w-30 should be thinner than GC until you get to teens below zero F.

The hard-on oil VWs are the 1.8T and 2.0T. the 2.Slo and V6 are very easy on oil.

What about below freezing because I fully expect to see average temps of 20 or lower with a good 3-4 week stretch below ten.

I have similar temps and am using 5w-30 Edge. To keep in spec, the thinnest oil would be GC and some of the Euro 5w-30s.

A good bet would be Mobil 1 High Miles 5w-30 HT/HS at 3.4cP and good additive levels. Should be pretty good on cold. I'll compare it to GC if you want, might be thinner or at least thin enough and def thinner than 5w-40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back