Escape hybrid dead

So our 2009 Escape hybrid is no longer a daily driver and I parked it in my garage about a month ago. Usually keep a charger on the starting battery but didn't this last time I parked it. Went to start it recently and no crank. Starting battery was a bit down on charge so put charger on it and charged up to full. Still no crank. Tried jumping with another vehicle, no crank. Lights come on and battery is fairly new. There is a flashing red security lock in lower left dash display and message in the DIC saying STOP SAFELY NOW.
Evidently in prior years Ford put an emergency jumpstart button on these but stopped for 2009. Can't get clear answer on whether hybrid battery can be recharged if that is issue or not. Ford dealer just wants it towed in and says new battery would be $8-9000, effectively totalling vehicle. Any thoughts or experience with this?

I have a hard time believing a used battery pack would be 8 or 9k. New from Ford maybe.

Have you surfed any Escape forums? I'd think someone out there has faced this same issue. What do you have for scan tools? If you plan to keep this any longer it might be time to spring for one.

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
9M6Z10B759D is the part number for the high voltage traction battery, $9,244.97 is MSRP. The previous number was $11,316.70.

crazy2.gif

Yes that is new battery price, as bdcardinal noted. Used or refurb packs seem to run about $2-3000. I have been searching online for info with no clear answer. I put an OBD scanner on it and didn't have any codes, but there may be some special Ford or hybrid module that an OTC scanner can't access.
I know if I have it towed to Ford and there is not a simple fix(they already told me they know nothing of a way to recharge the battery to start it) they probably won't put anything but a new expensive battery in it.
Seems very funny that up to 2008, there was a switch that would transfer just enough charge from your low voltage battery to the high voltage to allow it to start.

Lots of hits for "2009 escape hybrid won't start" on google. Seems like the ignition switch is a common problem. Try turning the switch off and back on 20 or 30 times. Turn hard. Good luck.

9M6Z10B759D is the part number for the high voltage traction battery, $9,244.97 is MSRP. The previous number was $11,316.70.

When The Critic told me that, I was wondering [censored] Ford. A battery for a Toyota hybrid isn't expensive, unless it's for a Lexus LS/GS hybrid.

There is a device to charge the hybrid batteries that been completely drained. Not many dealers have them though.

Does your dealer have one? Just wondering how rare they are. Thanks.

Originally Posted by SatinSilver
There is a device to charge the hybrid batteries that been completely drained. Not many dealers have them though.

Does your dealer have one? Just wondering how rare they are. Thanks.

Negative. We have 2 plug in chargers but nothing for the hybrids. We have only replaced one hybrid battery in the 12+ years I have been here. And it was a used one supplied by a body shop to replace one physically damaged in an accident.

Originally Posted by nthach

When The Critic told me that, I was wondering [censored] Ford. A battery for a Toyota hybrid isn't expensive, unless it's for a Lexus LS/GS hybrid.

(not sure how this helps/effects things, but i'm sure it does) that age of ford hybrids, the High Voltage batteries are NiMh, while the '12 and up Fusions, and C-maxes, are Lithium Ion..

Originally Posted by slug_bug
Lots of hits for "2009 escape hybrid won't start" on google. Seems like the ignition switch is a common problem. Try turning the switch off and back on 20 or 30 times. Turn hard. Good luck.

Yes, I have read about those. I did try working the switch quite a few times, and, honestly that switch has always been a bit finicky. It is supposedly a DIY to replace it but may be easier to let dealer check it and replace if needed?

From what I understand the Ford hybrid batteries are similar in construction to the Prius batteries in that they are built of multiple cells bundled together. I would guess that the batteries not unlike the Prius batteries go bad when one of the cells fails. In many cases the bad cell can be replaced and the entire bank be re-balanced and you are back in business. I have helped replace a 09 Prius cell which wasn't crazy dangerous or difficult, but it is not without safety concerns. There are several companies around the country that sell re manufactured batteries. this company :)https://greentecauto.com/product-category/ford/escape) has a rebuilt battery for $1995 with a 12 month warranty, and a new cell battery for $3895 with a 36 month warranty. Here in DFW there is a company that will come replace a 2nd gen prius battery for $950 labor included.

There is supposedly a way to get rid of the blinking red lock icon. From whatvi understand if you drain the battery too far it trips the security system and locks you out

we had an 08 escape. It had the button on the left dash panel that when pressed would use the 12v batt to boost the traction batt to start. the button was hidden intentionally behind a panel. the owners manual provided detail on how to use it.

What does the owners manual say in this case? does the engine have a 12v starter, therefore not needing to boost the traction battery for a start? It may have a 12v starter, meaning this negates a traction battery conundrum.

FWIW my cataloging shows the jump start button all the way through 2012.

I wish this were the case, but I looked thoroughly under that access panel and every other one I could find. No mention of it in the owners manual, either. Certainly appreciate everyone's input so far

Any chance the plug and wiring are in place for the button you're looking for and all you need is the button? My dad had a Gran Prix that was fully wired and had the solenoid in place for remote trunk release but his trim level didn't have it so Pontiac just left the button out of the glovebox.

You might want to call various local Ford dealers to see if they have a hybrid battery charger. They might not know what you're talking about
confused2.gif

How to charge the high voltage battery yourself: https://www.greenhybrid.com/forums/f26/09-feh-sit-about-year-cant-jump-star-31104/#post261931

The following video explains what is most likely going on with your Escape Hybrid. Interesting to see the error codes and voltages. Too bad you don't have a recharge button like the '05-'08.

Per the 2009 owner guide:

Low and high voltage battery - storage

Your vehicle must be started and run for a minimum of 10 minutes once
a month in order to maintain the high voltage battery charge. This will
maintain the high voltage battery but it is not enough to maintain the
low voltage (underhood) battery and additional low voltage (underhood)
battery charging may be required after 60 days.

If your vehicle is to be stored for 30 days or longer, the low voltage
(underhood) battery negative terminal must be disconnected. Failure to
do this could damage your vehicle's batteries.

Good luck.

Back