Epoxy for Magnet in diff

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to add a magnet to my diff, there is no magnet for the fill plug i have

what sort of epoxy should i use and what type of magnet? i dont want this thing getting loose in my diff

quote:

Originally posted by OiledMustangGT:
I want to add a magnet to my diff, there is no magnet for the fill plug i have

what sort of epoxy should i use and what type of magnet? i dont want this thing getting loose in my diff

Just put it in the bottom of your differential housing but not directly under the ring gear. There are many OEM differentials that have a magnet sitting in the bottom of the housing and all that holds them in place is the magnet itself. So, don't waste time with Epoxy.

Hammer

If you can get your hands on the high flux neodymium "voice coil" magnet from a junked computer hard drive, you will NOT have to worry about it loosing its magnetism over time or getting caught up in the differential's works. I'm using one of those on my spin-on engine oil filters and the little bugger's good for over 3 lbs. of pull. The other option for one of these super magnets is to just place it at the bottom on the OUTSIDE of the differential cover. It won't be going anywhere without a LOT of physical encouragement, and there'll still be plenty of radiated flux through the differential cover to capture and hold iron wear metals to the inner surface at the magnet's location.

quote:

Originally posted by srivett:
I would look for a replacement plug with a magnet. They tend to deteriorate over time and become a big screw-up.

Cheers, Steve

well that would be nice, but i have custom 1/4" steel face, 1/2" ring, differential covers with flush fill plugs. so im have a hard time finding the correct size.

yeah, im going with the high powered high flux neodymium magnets

the diffs are changes at least yearly

If it were me, and I changed the diff yearly, then I wouldn't think about magnets. If it ain't broke ...dont fix it. I doubt any magnet would be a significant improvement compared to the consequences if the magnet broke loose.

i ordered some magnets finally

i got some 1"x2" ones for oil filters and some 3/4"x3/4"x1/4" ones for the diffs.
i got the neodymium

Those are WAY bigger than you need. I ordered a sampler pack from an ebayer I think it was Rattlesnake Magnets I got like almost 200 little ones and they are increadible. The 3/4" square by 1/4" thick ones you got I am willing to bet are capable of lifting over 10pounds. The .3" diameter by I think .25" tall cylinders I have are capable of sticking to either side of my hand or pinning a magazine to a refrigerator.

yeah probably wayy overkill

oh well

it will come in handy if my spider gears etc come apart (which is a real possibility for me) it will trap the large chucks and keep them out of the ring gear as much as possible

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back