Adding Magnet to Differential Plug

I had some magnets from a bad hard drive in my computer and added them inside the differential. I blew a spider gear in it eventually and all the parts and shavings were captured there. Didn't mess up my ring gear or any bearings.

You can probably buy a plug with a magnet already attached that fits. Just watch the clearance inside.

Similarly, my 350Z transmission plugs did not have magnets originally. The plugs have a convenient cup on them and I found a hemispherical magnet that fit perfectly. The plug is steel, so the magnet sticks quite well, but I put some JB Weld on it for insurance.

You can probably buy a plug with a magnet already attached that fits. Just watch the clearance inside.

Similarly, my 350Z transmission plugs did not have magnets originally. The plugs have a convenient cup on them and I found a hemispherical magnet that fit perfectly. The plug is steel, so the magnet sticks quite well, but I put some JB Weld on it for insurance.

I looked everywhere for a plug with no luck so that's why I decided to add my own. To me it just makes send to have a magnetic drain plug on a differential. My other vehicles came with one.

What size is the plug? You can also get round magnets with a hole in the middle. Drill and tap the plug for a machine screw to hold the magnet on.

I definitely suggest adhesive or screws to hold the magnet to the plug.

What size is the plug? You can also get round magnets with a hole in the middle. Drill and tap the plug for a machine screw to hold the magnet on.

I definitely suggest adhesive or screws to hold the magnet to the plug.

PLUG,REAR AXLE HOUSING DRAIN(M20X1.5)(21MM LONG) GM Part 12471479

Wow, that's unique! You should be able to find a disc-shaped magnet that fits nicely in the cup. Hopefully the plug is steel so the magnet sticks to it on its own, but I'd still add some JB Weld. Clean everything thoroughly before epoxying and then let the epoxy cure for several days before you use it.

A magnet is always smart where you have steel/iron contact to steel/iron such as steel gear teeth or iron cylinder and iron or steel piston rings. I'd skip the adhesive...too much chance of it coming apart due to the heat and maybe a chunk gets into the oil.

Do you guys think a 3/4 OD x 1/8 disc magnet would be a good size choice?

It does have a steel plug currently.

Back