Epic accident today - Senior content

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow! I agree and I have always said after the age of about 65 or so, a test must be sat every 5 years to make sure they are still road safe! After this age eye sight, reaction times and coordination start going out the window. My grandfather went round a roundabout the wrong way twice in a day when i was last in a car with him! This is someone who has been driving 55 years and he didn't know what way to go round a roundabout! Just the other day an 80 something year old woman drove full speed the wrong way down the local highway! And things like this involving seniors are happening nearly every day around this area

People over 50 vote a lot more than younger types. Politicians know this and don't want to anger those voters by interfering with their privledge to drive.
Thank goodness there was not a family walking there.

Last edited:
Retirees aren't tied down as much as working folk with kids in school and even if my home state starts seriously testing geezers for licenses they'll just either move, or, for snowbirds, declare Florida "home". Enough of these guys claim Florida and they'll be an unbreakable voting bloc.

Originally Posted By: MalfunctionProne
People can't drive, lol.

I find the fact that they have no idea what happened more scary than their seeming inability to drive though
wink.gif
OK, you screw up and hit somebody? Bad things happen. You don't know how it happened or what happened? That is a serious issue!

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
People can't drive, lol.

I find the fact that they have no idea what happened more scary than their seeming inability to drive though
wink.gif
OK, you screw up and hit somebody? Bad things happen. You don't know how it happened or what happened? That is a serious issue!

Almost sounds like the old woman had slight dementia, or senility setting in. How could she not have realized what she had done until after the fact? I agree with some others here, she could have easily killed pedestrians, luckily nothing more serious happened.

Going to have to yank our 85-year-old mother's license pronto.
She has a caregiver most days for 'chauffeuring' about town but still values her independence. Not looking forward to that chat.
frown.gif

Our 93-year-old cousin (retired USAF Colonel w/ 8000+ hours) passed last month but was a fine driver and sharp right up until the end...

People can't drive, lol.

wink.gif

True as well.. scary to be on the road in their own little world. I see what you are saying.

My grandma is senile and drove her 1998 Buick LeSabre into a semi in Florida. Car was a total loss. She was alright. She was about 85 when this happened. She hasn't driven since, and I am not sure who thought it would be a bright idea to let her drive ANYWHERE.

Guess what state. Take a WAG (sarcastic.) Hint: FAMOUS for Seniors and retirees... and has been mentioned several times in this thread. .

Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high
Cars to avoid on the road:

Any 2000's era Cadillac
Mercury Gran Marquis
Ford Taurus
etc.

Dont forget Buicks and mini vans.. Especially the Honda Oddesy.

I'm sure the people involved felt bad enough without pictures of their cars and possibly themselves plastered all over the Internet. As I said, if my vehicle had been involved, there would have been pictures.

You'll have to tell the Media next time there's an accident that they should ask before they take any pictures...wonder what they would say...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bluestream
I'm sure the people involved felt bad enough without pictures of their cars and possibly themselves plastered all over the Internet. As I said, if my vehicle had been involved, there would have been pictures.

You'll have to tell the Media next time there's an accident that they should ask before they take any pictures...wonder what they would say...

The media isn't my responsibility though
wink.gif
This was a personal decision regarding their privacy, nothing more.

Originally Posted By: splinter
..in Florida.
+
Guess what state.

Florida?
laugh.gif

thumbsup2.gif
YES! Win.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high
Cars to avoid on the road:

Any 2000's era Cadillac
Mercury Gran Marquis
Ford Taurus
etc.

Dont forget Buicks and mini vans.. Especially the Honda Oddesy.

Ford Expeditions
Chevrolet Suburban
Hummer H2s

My grandmother effectively hung up her keys late last year at 90. She passed her annual test, but gave it up.

It was a double win as we didn't have to have that talk or go through the process to have her license revoked, and I bought her 99 Grand Marquis from her to keep it in the family.

Mum gave up her license after backing her CRV into a dumpster and breaking the rear window. I had a great aunt who was a practicing physician into her 90s. At 95, a car ran a stop sign and t-boned her car. When the cops showed up she was giving the guy first aid. My sister's FIL is 101 and still drives. Another doctor , he doesn't look a day over 85
grin2.gif

The amazing thing is that there are people in their 90s who are sharp, have quick reflexes, and don't drive much differently than when they were 50 years old. At 85 years old, my dad could drive in a congested urban area and parallel park his car at the equivalent of what must've been 10-15 mph to secure the space. It looked like something out of Starsky and Hutch just with grey hair and wrinkles....

Originally Posted By: Vuflanovsky
The amazing thing is that there are people in their 90s who are sharp, have quick reflexes, and don't drive much differently than when they were 50 years old. At 85 years old, my dad could drive in a congested urban area and parallel park his car at the equivalent of what must've been 10-15 mph to secure the space. It looked like something out of Starsky and Hutch just with grey hair and wrinkles....

Yup, that's the way my old German buddy is. Sharp as a tack, fantastic behind the wheel and no accidents. He also keeps his vehicles pristine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back