Engines that take more oil than they are supposed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I changed the oil in the traverse today. Theoretically, it takes 6 quarts. However, 6 quarts barely registered on the dipstick. In the end, it took almost 7 full quarts of QSUD 5W-30 to get to the full line on the dipstick. That is of course, after running the engine for a minute to fill the filter and etc.

Most cars I've had take a quarter quart or so more to get to the full line- but never almost a full quart. What is going on here?
crazy2.gif

On some engines, the oil level rises significantly after warm-up. However, I have experienced the same issue that you are seeing on a number of cars.

2008 CRV: Manual calls for 4.4 qt. Took about 5.2 to reach the upper dot.

2003 Altima 2.5: Manual calls for 4.5. Took 5 to reach the upper dot.

2008 TSX: Manual calls for 4.4 qt. On some changes it took 4.8. On one oil change in took 5.3!

I think a lot of it depends on whether the engine was drained with just the front-end lifted, and for how long. I find that having the front-end lifted allows you to drain a bit more oil than if the car was level.

Take it for a 30 minute drive. It will show over full. Just follow the oem capacities. They know what they are talking about.
Ford's 4.6s were funny. I forget the year but nothin about the engine changed however the oil capacity went from 6 to 7 quarts. Seems they changed the dipstick.

Sometimes there are two numbers - with and without filter change, and they get mixed up...

My Explorer manual for the 4.0L states 5qts. to fill when actually it takes 6qts. to register full?

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it in the operating range with 5? It takes 5 qts. Most will not register full with 5 but will be in the operating range on the dipstick.

I was told by my mechanic buddy to fill what they spec in the manual, dipsticks can be set wrong. Also, any elevation can throw your dipstick readings of drastically. Putting to much oil in your vehicle can cause you to run very high oil pressure or to low if you get oil frothing from your crank being submerged in oil.

My Mazda manual states 6.8Q dry fill and 6Q refill but, I can never get more than ~5.5Q in on a refill. I think it is connected with the oil cooler not draining. This a Turbo engine with a faily large oil cooler. Ed

The Tacoma's 2.7L 4 cyl calls for 6.1 qts. with filter change. 5.5 will have the dipstick reading about a 1/4" over the full line. 6 qt. will be 3/4" in over. This has been a topic of many threads over at TacomaWorld.com.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Ford's 4.6s were funny. I forget the year but nothin about the engine changed however the oil capacity went from 6 to 7 quarts. Seems they changed the dipstick.

That was 2 years after they started recommending 5W-20 in 2001. Starting MY2003, they upped the capacity by 2 quarts - at least on the Panther platform.

Originally Posted By: Roadkingnc
No 4.6 ever called for 7 qts, 5.4 3 and 4 valve engines in trucks and suvs hold 7

Back when I had my '03 and '07 Grand Marquis, they took 7 quarts with the filter to register full on the dipstick.

My Jeep 4.0 takes 6 quarts to fill - and that is also what the owners manual says.

A coworkers Jeep 4.0 takes 5 to register full on the dipstick ... with a oil and filter change. He's been putting 6 in since that is the full capacity.

Registering full on the stick and filled to spec are two different things. I have been a ford tech for 25 years, looked the specs up all 4.6 engines call for 6 qts in the manual.

Originally Posted By: Nick R
I changed the oil in the traverse today. Theoretically, it takes 6 quarts. However, 6 quarts barely registered on the dipstick. In the end, it took almost 7 full quarts of QSUD 5W-30 to get to the full line on the dipstick. That is of course, after running the engine for a minute to fill the filter and etc.

Don't be surprised if you have to drain some back out after the oil is fully up to temperature. The reading on the dipstick of my old Cadillac Northstars would change by at least "one quart" depending on if you measured it cold or hot. Check it after the oil is fully up to temperture.

This is one of the reasons for the reports of high oil consumption on the Northstars. True, the engine really was consuming it, but only because owners were overfilling them all the time. They'd fill it plumb full cold, and the engine would burn that excess off due to windage, etc. Next time they check it, it's down a quart. Add another, burn another off. Repeat many times over the course of a 7,500 mile OCI.

Leave it at the factory-specified fill (6 quarts) and only tweak if you desire after taking a fully hot reading.

Every Ford 4.6 I have ever seen, it takes more than the specified 6 qts to get it to the full mark. My wifes Lincoln with the 4.6, 6 qts puts it right on the line before add. 7 qts puts it perfectly at the full line. Every company truck with the 4.6's were the same. So either all the dipsticks are wrong or they hold 7 qts. I ve been putting 7 qts in my wifes car since it was new. It has 123,000 miles and doesn't use any oil and runs like a top, so it must be ok. Really a qt in either direction, probably wont effect much.

Last edited:
The Ford 4.6 in the Crown Vic/Grand Marquis/Town Car took 5 quarts until 2003, when they changed to an aluminium subframe and had to modify the oil pan. 2003+ takes 6 quarts.

Also - as I have noticed on my Focus, the first time I pull the dipstick, it is WAY below the safe area. When I wipe it off and check again - it is fine.

I got nervous and had to verify after an oil change that it did, in fact, have the correct amount of oil in it.

Some vehicles are odd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back