Engines quieter vs louder depending on oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech
Some people are deaf. Others aren't.

The engines mechanical symphony is music.

Ha I am almost deaf by genetics. "Profound hearing loss" was my audiologist's diagnosis.

Hearing aids enabled me to hear all kinds of 'new' drive train noises, like blinkers, piston slap, tappets ticking and pre-ignition.

Exhaust notes always came through loud and clear, but cymbals in the classic rock tracks are especially pleasant.
smile.gif

Years ago, before it was much of a suggestion on BITOG, I put M1 0W40 in my 4Runner (3VZE), and immediately noted that it sounded more like a steel bucket full of ball bearings than it did previously (not dry running after an OCI, it was the entire duration)...Better half noted it too.

Nothing else did it, and I've used that oil in my current diesel, and haven't heard similar.

I have a Suzuki 650 90° V-Twin V-Strom motorycle - no fairing, engine is fairly exposed under the gas tank, valves are directly actuated under buckets.

Earlier in it's life I ran 3 OCI's on Mobil 1 10W-40 Racing 4T, motorcycle specific mostly comprised of Group 3 base oils with some Group 4. Quite a bit of ticking-tapping valve noise at all speeds and degrees of warmed up. Not annoying, but noticeable.

Just over 2 OCI's ago I switched to Motul 300V 10W-40 4T double ester oil, which uses mostly Group 5 base stocks, and the valve sounds vanished. They were replaced by combustion sounds, and the primary gear drive whine and exhaust note are more noticeable.

My theory is the the Group 5 leaves a fairly thick layer that sticks to all the engine's internal surfaces, causing lower resonant frequencies and more damping action as inter-molecular motion in the clinging oil absorbs/damps the vibration that otherwise would have transferered to the surrounding air.

I just got a Jeep XJ with the 4.0 so we will see if I can discern any difference in that. I must admit that if there has been a difference between oils (M1 0w40, Rotella T6, and Lubro Moly 5w40) in my Audi, it's only between old and new oil. It seems happier on new fresh oil but other than that no differences comparing new to new stand out enough to remember from early in the previous OCI.

It seems like a lot of people can hear the idiosyncrasies of individual 4.0s/their oils, so maybe there is hope that I will be one of the ones who can hear (or think they hear) a difference.

I find it fascinating that some people are adamant in either camp.

many people have noticed differences when their engines exhibit loud piston slap at cold start-up. Whether the difference is due to additives, conventional vs. synthetic, or due to viscosity I am not sure but I have read many people reporting differences for that issue.

I have noticed differences when I've gone to thicker oils on my one vehicle, also when I've used moly additives, I can't say that it provides any real benefits but it did sound quieter. Quiet may not necessarily equate to wear differences ?

Last edited:
There is healthy noise and unhealthy.on the decibel meter ?they re likely to be similar,but one will be grafting on your nerve while the other won't.experienced audiophile might be the best sensor for noise.the difference is very subtle .usuly plugging your hears will help to hear the offender

The car I normally drive is a Lexus LS430, with that car from inside most of the time it is difficult to tell the engine is even running.

My ears are pretty sensitive and I understand engine sounds very well.

Standing next to the car from the outside absolutely no difference in engine sounds between oil brands of same weight on the LS430, our 07 Highlander, or the 2010 Miata.

Last edited:
I recently helped a friend change the oil on his HONDA Accord 4 cyl. We took it out for a 15 minute drive to heat up the oil, then left it idling for a couple of minutes as we pulled out jacks etc. The engine clacked merrily away, just the usual mechanical noises.

After changing the oil, from a 5w20 with 5000 miles plus, up to a 5w30 HM, then starting the car to check for leaks, my friend commented on how quiet and smooth the engine was...

I told him that he had just removed a well used 20 grade at operating temps, and put in a new 30 grade that was about 60*F... and thus was wayyyyyyyyy thicker than what came out.

We drove the car for 15 or so minutes and parked, listening to it idle now that the new oil was hot...

Sounded pretty much the same... !

I think more than a few people make this mistake.... fresh, COLD oil is quieter than hot old oil... for a few minutes at least!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back