Engines being used infrequently

Hi Gents.
My Jeep is maybe only being used once a week now due to Covid lockdown.

I have a smart charger so i have the battery maintenance side of things covered.

My question is, do i need to start the engine every few days to keep internal components covered in an oil film? Does oil cling to these parts making a start up unnecessary? Does the actual start up cause more wear than just leaving it be and only starting it when i need to?

Engine is a Diesel OM642, no DPF.

Any thoughts welcome please.

Leave it alone when not in use. No need to start it up and idle needlessly in the driveway. You will do more harm than good by letting it idle in the driveway. Using it once a week or so is fine and probably good enough for the battery too. I park my summer vehicles at the end of October, leave them be and start them up for the first time in April when I use them next.I never let a car just idle in the driveway. Keeping your trickle charger on is a good thing to do but may not be needed if you take the car for a drive once a week..

Last edited:
No, don’t start it and especially don’t idle it... and definitely not every few days.

I have vehicles that sit for a few months at a time, including Daimler Diesel engines. No issues.

What is a consideration is the use of the AC system, to keep oil circulated and seals pliable. More modern a systems have less of an issue with that, but run at higher pressure, so it’s still good practice.

The main issue with running the engine is that then you need to USE it. That means actually putting miles on it, getting all systems up to full temperature and steady state. That usually means driving at least 30ish miles of continuous use with plenty of loading of the engine (no idling, stop and go isn’t as good as the engine doesn’t have continuous heat and flow at high rates). And do this with the AC on, the heat on to some extent, etc.

If you know it’s going to sit, consider some fuel stabilizer and/or TCW-3 two stroke oil. Tanks these days are pretty well sealed, but there still are adverse chemical reactions that occur. Fuel can be good for years, but some stabilizer may give some peace of mind.

A battery float charger is esssntial if sitting, for all but the lowest draw vehicles (my 81 240D comes to mind, the only load is the clock).

I would not bother with doing anything if its used once a week. Hopefully that once a week is long enough to get the engine and exhaust system up to normal operating temp for 15 to 20 minutes.

Once a week leaves 6 days for mice to build a nest.

Back