engineered wood flooring products

Status
Not open for further replies.
i'm thinking of replacing old carpeting in some of the rooms with hardwood flooring. i'm am looking at floating the floor using some of the engineered wood products that clicks in place as opposed to gluing or nailing tongue and groove stuff. anybody have experiences to share or horror stories, recommended products, or not?

Yep, I did one of the rooms in our place.

Easy, and has proven very durable.

Make sure that you run the boards across the existing timbers, as any imperfections will lead to rocking boards if parallel.

We have both in our house and I can say without a doubt, if I was to do it all over again I would only use the real stuff... The floating stuff is garbage and already is showing its true quality and we paid almost as much as the real stuff in the living room.

Quality varies. I've had terrific results with Pergo brand available at Lowes. I had real wood floors in my old house in Maryland that was built in 1953. The whole house was wood floored. When I moved to Texas and bought a new home I was amazed how they wanted to charge so much for wood flooring. Anyhow, did it myself in 4 rooms using Pergo and it looks great, wears great and needs no maintenance like real wood.

MY TIPS LEARNED:

1. Use PERGO brand or some high quality maker
2. By the planks that already have the padding attached - so much easier and cleaner.
3. Be sure to leave enough gap around the room if you are floating the floor. Floor needs to expand and contract.
4. You don't have to remove the base moldings if you don't want to. I just left the gap at the base board mldg and Pergo makes a perfect matching 1/4 round molding that covers the gap and looks great.
5. If you are laying on a concrete slab, you must lay plastic down to prevent water vapors from coming thru and ruining your work.
6. Lay the planks down in such a way you don't copy the same pattern each time - the directions (do read!) show you how.

That's about it. Very easy, very rewarding and durable. My Pergo floor came with a 25yr warranty and you can hardly scratch them!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: StevieC
We have both in our house and I can say without a doubt, if I was to do it all over again I would only use the real stuff... The floating stuff is garbage and already is showing its true quality and we paid almost as much as the real stuff in the living room.

+1

The inlaws did their living room and kitchen with Kahrs snap-in, floating. Looks fabulous, has gone 2 and a half years with no wear. I can feel a very slight amount of give in it, but I weight 235, and I'm told that if a better underlayment had been used there would be less.

There is one plank in the whole installation which has the tongue or groove maybe a 64th off, so it sits the slightest bit high. Otherwise the surface is very smooth and gapless.

Stay away from what is called laminate (i.e. where the top layer is a plastic picture of wood instead of actual wood). This is sometimes confused with engineered wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back