Engine whine/whistle with acceleration

I did have that, and changing the O'ring and new power steering fluid fixed that. Thanks for the thought though. I will check it again though to see if turning the wheels reproduces the noise as well. But I do hear it on a straight stretch of road, near where I live I can get up to 50mph .
Did you use Honda PS fluid? Theirs is quite a bit different in viscosity & additives, and using ATF like most Japanese cars do will usually cause some whine. I tried MaxLife ATF in my Odyssey before I knew about this and it was not happy. MolaKule said the add pack & viscosity are significantly different; I drained the ATF and put Honda OEM fluid in and all was well.

Did you use Honda PS fluid? Theirs is quite a bit different in viscosity & additives, and using ATF like most Japanese cars do will usually cause some whine. I tried MaxLife ATF in my Odyssey before I knew about this and it was not happy. MolaKule said the add pack & viscosity are significantly different; I drained the ATF and put Honda OEM fluid in and all was well.
As far as I know, my mechanic uses all Honda fluids, but I will check with him and make sure. Thanks for the information!
So you are saying most Japanese cars DO have some sort of whine to them? My mechanic did have me come and listen to 2 Hondas just to ease my mind regarding the noise from the water pump. They had the same noise, but much more subtle, you really had to listen to them, but I did not hear this whine noise, that I heard before.

I had a 2005 odyssey that whined on acceleration. I think it was the transmission, something about wear in the bearing bores allowing a slight misalignment of the gears, causing them to whine. I drove it from 125k until it was totaled at 230k without transmission problems.

I do not think your Pilot has the same transmission, a good thing for you as that 2005 transmission didn't have a great reputation.

I had a 2005 odyssey that whined on acceleration. I think it was the transmission, something about wear in the bearing bores allowing a slight misalignment of the gears, causing them to whine. I drove it from 125k until it was totaled at 230k without transmission problems.

I do not think your Pilot has the same transmission, a good thing for you as that 2005 transmission didn't have a great reputation.
Thanks brages for the the information. I did listen to an Odyssey engine that had 214,000 miles on it but I was listening to the issue with the water pump. Interesting these Hondas all have some peculiar noise. A friend of mine has a Lexus, and you cannot hear that motor at all! It is absolutely perfect.

That is when I hear it the most. It is not the same effect in my garage with revving the engine..
So in the garage with the engine turning at or above 2000 rpm, this noise is not heard, but on the road with the engine at or above 2000 rpm you do hear this noise?

And is it a whine or whistle that increases with RPM or road speed?

So in the garage with the engine turning at or above 2000 rpm, this noise is not heard, but on the road with the engine at or above 2000 rpm you do hear this noise?

And is it a whine or whistle that increases with RPM or road speed?
So it is very odd...I know I am of no help in the description. It is more of a high pitched whistle, it does increase with increases in RPM and road speed. At 1st I really thought it was my tires on a smooth newly paved road. But when I let off of the accelerator the pitch decreases. So I thought today ,...maybe yes perhaps it is my tires. It would make sense if I let off of the gas pedal the tire rotation/speed would decrease and so would the noise. However, so would the RPM of the engine as well. I am going to drive tomorrow on an old road going to work and see if I hear the noise. I will also test it again when I go to work in the morning at idle in my garage and will increase the RPM.

I know what the whine of my power steering was causing, when you turn your wheels in either direction. That I would classify as a whine. This is not that noise. And that noise stopped once my mechanic changed the power steering fluid and put in a new O'ring, thankfully. I have watched videos of a whine noise, growl almost of an alternator, and no I don't have that noise either, thank God!

How does the pitch change if you are on the highway, going up a grade, and the transmission drops down from 5th to 4th?

How does the pitch change if you are on the highway, going up a grade, and the transmission drops down from 5th to 4th?
brages...I will have to test that out. I am mostly on local roads that have speed limits of 55 mph. I have gone up and down hills though, it does not sound like the engine is straining to go up a hill. I will test that tomorrow,...now that you have me thinking. I do have to go up a steep hill going to and from home to work and back again. To my knowledge,...when thinking about it,...I do not hear it going up this one steep hill coming home from work...but I will have to clarify that tomorrow coming home from work. It is hard sometimes with other cars near me, that sound worse!

Wow you guys ask some great tough questions!:) I love it!

X2! I’ve noticed many Hondas whining on acceleration from stop lights. Yet they seem to run forever. 🤷‍♂️
:D,...I know LOL...
I am neurotic about my maintenance schedule,...I hope mine does not get that way over time.!

That is when I hear it the most. It is not the same effect in my garage with revving the engine..

I suspect it’s something on the exterior of the vehicle. If you have roof rails then check if the inserts have any gaps. Same with any deflectors or exterior trim that might be loose.

The fact that you hear this while driving but not in the garage tells me it’s not engine related.

Check underneath as well. A loose splash shield or one not assembled properly. Think back when you made a whistle with a blade of grass between your thumbs as a kid. Same idea.

So it is very odd...I know I am of no help in the description. It is more of a high pitched whistle, it does increase with increases in RPM and road speed. At 1st I really thought it was my tires on a smooth newly paved road. But when I let off of the accelerator the pitch decreases. So I thought today ,...maybe yes perhaps it is my tires. It would make sense if I let off of the gas pedal the tire rotation/speed would decrease and so would the noise. However, so would the RPM of the engine as well. I am going to drive tomorrow on an old road going to work and see if I hear the noise. I will also test it again when I go to work in the morning at idle in my garage and will increase the RPM.

I know what the whine of my power steering was causing, when you turn your wheels in either direction. That I would classify as a whine. This is not that noise. And that noise stopped once my mechanic changed the power steering fluid and put in a new O'ring, thankfully. I have watched videos of a whine noise, growl almost of an alternator, and no I don't have that noise either, thank God!
My blizzak winter tires actually had a slight acceleration whistle/whine when they were new on my Focus, increased pitch with road speed and went away with letting off the throttle.
Did you get your tires rotated at the mechanic? Maybe one of the rears needs a few miles to adapt rotating "backwards" on the front now?

In a garage or parking garage, or even a quiet spot beside a brick wall, with your window down you can rev the engine in N to see if the whine is rpm related. In the same spot, put it in D and hold down the brake and gently press the throttle and see if you get vacuum leak whistle. Also in N, hold the rpms at 2000, and turn off all the electrical loads and then turn them all on, high beams, rear defroster, seat heaters, and turn the steering wheel slowly, all which should load the alternator right up and perhaps it likes to whistle while it works?

If the noise is not there then, then its probably transmission or tires. My Focus has a bit of transmission gear whistle too, but its not too noticeable, unless I have the fan speed on 1 with a perfect smooth quiet road.

I suspect it’s something on the exterior of the vehicle. If you have roof rails then check if the inserts have any gaps. Same with any deflectors or exterior trim that might be loose.

The fact that you hear this while driving but not in the garage tells me it’s not engine related.

Check underneath as well. A loose splash shield or one not assembled properly. Think back when you made a whistle with a blade of grass between your thumbs as a kid. Same idea.
Thanks PimTac...interesting I do have rook rails that came with my SUV. I was thinking of investigating them,...I will check. Thanks for your time and advice.

Back