Engine top end

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for pointing that out! I'll add new intake/exhaust valves to the list. I reckoned lapping them would be sufficient based on what I was told, but I want it done right and done once. Another $110 wouldn't hurt.
55.gif

So far this is what the list is looking like:

Set of used heads - $150
Mill heads - $30
Complete OEM top end overhaul kit (all gaskets and seals) - $120.45
OEM intake/exhaust valves - $108
OEM valve guides - $44.10
OEM timing belt - $41.25
OEM timing belt tensioner assembly - $22.50
OEM thermostat (replaced last year but what the heck) - $6.75
OEM radiator cap (replaced last year) - $6
Mitsubishi Pre-Mixed coolant (10L) - $30
Mobil 1 0W-40 (5L) - $52.50
OEM oil filter - $7.05
Total: $618.60

By replacing them you eliminate any wear that occurred on the stem and any on the face. If these parts were difficult to find it would be worth a chance but at $110 it is cheap insuarance to bring everything back to factory spec. Besides that, all you need is one valve failure and its time for a complete rebuild, negating the work you are about to do.

Makes perfect sense, thanks very much again for pointing that out! If it's going to be done, might as well do it right first time.
55.gif

Even if you only get a year out of it and it costs you $1,000 it's still cheaper than a new car payment!
grin2.gif

I'm a firm believer in maintenance and rebuilding and laughing all the way to the bank...

It appears the auto tensioner was used after '99 on the sohc V6....as you have a 00,it would need to be checked with the chassis no if Japanese domestic,or VIN for other markets.Or just open it up.Do you have the big cast plate over the front? That adds a bit of extra time to the job.

Many thanks for taking the time for this, Silk! Much appreciated. There is a big cast plate over the front of the engine, and the tensioner comes with a spring unfortunately.

In this market, the 12-valve SOHC was used until the redesign in 2001, after which the 24-valve SOHC was used. Even for 2009, you have two engine choices: the 24-valve SOHC 6G72 (3.0) as standard, or the 24-valve SOHC 6G75 (3.8) on higher end models.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
I'm a firm believer in maintenance and rebuilding and laughing all the way to the bank...

Exactly!
cheers3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back