Engine Oil, please need assistance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: turboseize
Originally Posted By: subzerospeed
i would also be confused if my car was eating half a litre every 1000kms. ESPECIALLY when your running an ester-based 300v, known to have a hths. something is wrong. 300v shouldn't be eaten for lunch the way your type r is eating it!

someone mind explaining how higher rpm eats oil? is this something else than shearing and oxidation? is vlad the russian referring to oil making it past the rings and into the comb chamber and being eaten that way?

My Saab 900 turbo shows a similar pattern. NO discernable oil consumption over a 10.000km interval when driven sensibly. When I really push it (think Berlin-Munich in 4 hours, which means that because of frequent road work sections you have to have the car way above 200km/h on any possible free stretch of Autobahn) the engine starts to use some oil (like 0.5 liter / 1500km). 5500/min and full boost sustained continually means a yellow turbocharger and oil temperatures go through the roof. Either the oil manages to sneak by the rings and get's burned, or it just evaporates (and the crankcase ventilation also might have some influence on this). As the car does not use any oil when I drive "normally", and as most other Saabs whose owners I know exhibit the same behavious, I refuse to acknowlegde a problem.
cool.gif

I do not see any sense in trying a 10w-30. RSolo is using some high quality 5w-40, with low NOACK values and nice, high HTHS*... So what is the point in recommending a 10w-30? If he were using ILSAC xw-20 or 5w-30, yes. But he's in Europe...

*Edit: Motul 300V 5w-40 data sheet claims HTHS 4.1 and I found a russian VOA which showed NOACK of 9%.

Hi turboseize,

Thank you for sharing this info , well i also don`t want to acknowledge a problem
smile.gif
but i think i have ...
Also i will not switch to 10W30 or 10W40 ... different reasons and i think you understand ..from where I am ...( Romania ) best is to stick with Motul , Mobile1 even Honda ...
I think i my case ...the problem is that the oil gets burned together with fuel because of the rings ... i hope not ..not it`s more or less a reality which i will have to accept and fix ..and that Liqui Moly will not do the "trick"

I had an engine that burned 1L of oil every 150kms. Did a slow "drive-around" engine flush for 150kms. After that my oil consumption dropped a lot. Went to 1L per 8000kms.

Originally Posted By: Vlad_the_Russian
I had an engine that burned 1L of oil every 150kms. Did a slow "drive-around" engine flush for 150kms. After that my oil consumption dropped a lot. Went to 1L per 8000kms.

K man thx for the info , will look into this as well
I plan in August when i`m home to go to a service and see what is the actual problem and just fix ..and that`s it..because i`m stressing myself for nothing more or less
Other issues i really don`t have and i`m satisfied with the car how it performs

Ehhh thx again main , and to all of you wonderful people , i really appreciate it !!!

Kind Regards,
Radu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back