Engine Oil for 05 XC70 2.5 Turbo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea I'm going to skip the ARX, looks like the opinion of the stuff isn't as strong as it once was.

How do you all feel about using the mobil clean 5000 as a host for a karosene "rinse", idle only, for this engine? Good? Bad? indifferent?

------

Good news: I was just down at the dealer we bought this from (volvo dealer) and retrieved the full service history from them. I brought that service history over to the service department to ask some questions, and he was able to identify the oil type used for the changes as Silverstate 5w30 Synthetic blend:

http://colopetro.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Silver-State-Syn-Blend-Motor-Oils-PDS1.pdf

Looks like all but 1 of the oil changes was with that stuff, done approximately every 8000 miles over the life of the car. One of the changes was with Castrol GTX, and that one went about 9000 miles, (if we assume no other service was performed by anyone else). So, the service history isn't ideal, but also isn't terrible either.

------

Walmart had 5qt jugs of M1 0w40 European formula A3/B3 / A3/B4 on sale for $23.88 each. Seemed like a pretty good deal so I went ahead and bought a bunch of it. (enough to do probably ~4-7 oil changes, depending on consumption rate).

Originally Posted By: mdocod

How do you all feel about using the mobil clean 5000 as a host for a karosene "rinse", idle only, for this engine? Good? Bad? indifferent?

Walmart had 5qt jugs of M1 0w40 European formula A3/B3 / A3/B4 on sale for $23.88 each. Seemed like a pretty good deal so I went ahead and bought a bunch of it. (enough to do probably ~4-7 oil changes, depending on consumption rate).

I would not hesitate to use the Mobil 5000 for a flush

M1 0W40 is a great choice, At the moment we have two V70s two S60s and one 940 LPT in my family and most oilchanges we do either with M1 0W40 or Castrol Edge 0W40.

Originally Posted By: Kira
Hello, I suppose you've read my response to your trannie fluid question.
Re your oil question: I'd use an A3, B3 oil because your engine is turbocharged. They get hot.
Mobil1 0W-40 European Formula
Castrol Edge 0W-30 European Formula
TOTAL QUARTZ 9000 5W-40.

Run your engine to operating temperature and withdraw the oil dipstick.
Stretch a tightly fitting balloon over the dipstick tube and see if it inflates.
NO INFLATION = GOOD
INFLATION = BAD There'd be a good chance the PCV system catch box is clogged. It's beneath the intake manifold. Often oil neglect fills the box with sludge. The resulting pressure (balloon expansion) will create leaks.
Synthetic oils create far less sludge so I conclude the A1,B1 conventional oil route is not the way to go.

Also, remove BOTH rear brake rotors and visually inspect the parking brakes.
The shoe lining delaminates and can destroy the mounting ears on the hub as the damaged shoes whirl around.
OK if OK. Replace with genuine Volvo brake shoes if not OK.
I'd install the aftermarket brake shoe adjuster if I were doing the job again.
The Volvo parking brakes are weak.

Also, if you have regular halogen H-7 headlights and you believe you're eating headlight bulbs just crack away the horribly cheap plastic of the lamp connector, give the female connectors a squeeze to tighten them and shove them directly on the blades of the H-7 bulb using a dab of dielectric grease.

Your battery is in the back. Service it. Heaven knows, nobody else has.

Eyeball where the exhaust hangers run close to your center driveshaft. Some AWDs had scraping issues.

As a previous poster intimated, make sure the bevel gear (he said PTO) has its fluid.

At your mileage I'd start saving for struts and shocks. I used SACHS SuperTourings in my V70.
I'm not familiar with what they have for your XC.

Your thermostat is going to go soon. The "combo" unit in your car houses both stat and sensor. Mine is an '02 with separate stat and sensor.

I've owned 2 of these and love 'em. BEST of LUCK! ! Kira

OP she knows what she's talking about and has save my GF's car (2.4t) from my wretched hands a few times. The only thing I want to add is if you ever develop a leak, M1 HM 10w30 and 10w40 are also A3/B3 oils and are also worth considering.

I took over the maintenance of her car when the dealer was getting on her about her brakes. Yes the pads were getting low, but they were good for a while yet. They tried up selling her stuff all the time and it just never made her feel comfortable. No hard feelings, but it's just easier for my to change it too. I first changed the oil last Thanksgiving and the oil was all gritty and grey looking. A few of the filter's pleats were packed with sludge too. I first used Pennzoil Platinum then M1 0w30 before I knew about A3/B3 oils. They have done so much good for that engine. It actually looks like drained oil now and the filter has very little to no sludge in the pleats. I am using M1 0w40 and a Mahle OEM right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back