Engine oil cost for a mechanic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by bullwinkle
Also, $50 would be an unbelievable deal on a full sun oil change, I would think $75-85 would be more like it.

That's about the rate around here for a full syn service.. even more if you want some guy named "Deider" doing it at the BMW stealership....

Originally Posted by Samkhan
What would be the true cost of engine oil ( conventional and synthetic) for a mechanic. I am assuming mechanic would make a profit on engine oil as well if they are using there own along with labour charges.

Sounds like OP is asking if and where a mechanic buys oil cheaper than the general public. Not always the case. Walmart is is pretty cheap when oil is on sale plus there are rebates. A mechanic at a shop isn't going to pick up a case there but call a distributor to deliver it out with the resulting additional associated costs. I have a WorldPac account and none of the oil is cheaper than most retail sources.

if you are a pro mechanic in a pro shop you have to be able to charge 75 to 125 an hour or up, depending on your location to cover your costs. Tools ain't cheap. data subscription and training is not cheap either. Workman's comp is scary. just trash disposal is not cheap.

Overhead on a change only shop is much lower.

Rod

Last edited:
Originally Posted by bdcardinal
OReillys and Autozone charge us $9.49/qt for Mobil 1 or Castrol Edge.

What's the retail price from your end ?

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
Also, $50 would be an unbelievable deal on a full sun oil change, I would think $75-85 would be more like it.

There's a large retailer with basic automotive maintenance services that does $50 full synthetic oil changes every day. They'll get no love around here but you know that they don't "screw up" every oil change they do. The times it does happen are absolutely the exceptions.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
madRiver said:
That must be why Pennzoil has a huge chain of Oil change shops across the nation.

To sell those 40 dollar engine air filters and cabin air filters maybe?

Originally Posted by kstanf150

I usually make it $11-12/qt. This would be for the customer that insists on Mobil 1 and doesn't bring their own and wants to wait, basically they are paying for convenience. If I know long enough ahead I can get it from a vendor that is a lot less, but takes a few hours to get it to us. We don't have a WalMart here so that isn't really an option.

I usually make it $11-12/qt. This would be for the customer that insists on Mobil 1 and doesn't bring their own and wants to wait, basically they are paying for convenience. If I know long enough ahead I can get it from a vendor that is a lot less, but takes a few hours to get it to us. We don't have a WalMart here so that isn't really an option.

That's a very fair price per quart. Just curious, my Ford dealer here locally only charges me $15 bucks if I supply the oil and filter. Is that normal pricing or am I get a deal as a repeat customer. Thanks for your info

That's a very fair price per quart. Just curious, my Ford dealer here locally only charges me $15 bucks if I supply the oil and filter. Is that normal pricing or am I get a deal as a repeat customer. Thanks for your info
[/quote]

For a dealer I would think that is a very good, my mech charges me $10 when I supply oil and filter other wise it's $30 with bulk oil and a blue CQ filter.

The discounts for bulk purchases will vary, and may be sold to an individual or to a company/chain corporation. Also there may be retail discounts for mechanics/technicians that are certified or registered with organizations such as ASE, I really don't know, you might ask some local parts stores managers or call the oil producers directly. The answer to your question is... "it depends."

Bulk Mobil full synthetic oil (ie: pails or totes) is available at ~$3-$4/L without even committing to buy a lot of it in the part of Canada I'm in.

And I believe anecdotally, lots of maintenance outfits (dealers, quickie-lubes, perhaps even some independents) cheat on synthetic oil.

A very under-appreciated fact is that the "oil change" is often the only time that vehicles receive a basic maintenance inspection of any kind, have the tyres checked, etc. As almost nobody will actually take a perfectly functional vehicle to a maintainer otherwise.

Ya something like that, maybe $20 with a tire rotation. Like even on regular oil changes we don't lose money, but we don't make much either. Its all about upselling things like air filters, cabin filters, fluid changes, brakes, and tires. Lets face it, any automotive repair facility is in it to make money and not be a charity. Our normal door rate is $140/hr which is right in line with other dealers and independent repair facilities in our area.

I totally agree with ya, nobody know matter business they are in works for free and deserves to make a decent profit.
Thanks for your info as always ðŸ‘

I see too much speculation and not enough real prices in this thread. If the mechanic shop is big enough they get bulk delivery. The latest price list I have is from 2016 in the new jersey area but should give you an idea. If a shop is buying oil at retail shops they won't make any profit.
5w30,5w20 same price, meets spec API SL, GF4

motorcraft from BWE llc.
  • Bulk delivery $7.99/gallon
  • 55gallon drum $466.95
  • 12quart case $42

cam2 from Bilo industries
  • Bulk delivery $3.48/gallon
  • 55gallon drum $207.90
  • 12quart case $18.48

advantage from Lubenet
  • Bulk delivery $3.99/gallon
  • 55gallon drum $216.99
  • 12quart case $18.99

mobil special from Metrolube/ commercial lubricant
  • Bulk delivery $4.99/gallon
  • 55gallon drum $290
  • 12quart case $23.50

gibraltar from David Weber oil company
  • Bulk delivery $4.44/gallon
  • 55gallon drum $255.20
  • 12quart case $24

The price for a fram ph2 cross reference, in the $2 range is pro-tec, ecogard, premium guard, champion labs, and $3-$4 for denso, hastings, acdelco, fram, mahle, motorcraft, bosch workshop

Holy poop that's cheap ! A lot of cheaper than I thought. I posted a price of $600 that Federated Auto Parts had in a sales flyer and yeah, I realize shops will get a discounted price from that but I didn't think it would more than 50% off (not counting the Motorcraft oil).

What's the difference between "bulk delivery" and 55-gallon drum pricing ? I'm guessing they pump oil into your facility's existing tank and you pay for however much you want to put in but the price isn't consistently cheaper than the 55-gallon pricing (which I think it normally would be).

I get Chevron, Havoline, and Mobil 1 at my shop in 12qt cases and half cases.

If I remember correctly, Chevron oils are about $2.92/qt for 5w20-10w30, sell for $5.95ea and 10w40,15w40, and 20w50 are about $3.10/qt, $6.95 ea
Mobil 1/Havoline are $5.99/qt and $12.95.

All my filters are Carquest Red or Blue, most of the reds are as low as 1.50 a filter and we sell them mostly at 9.95.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Holy poop that's cheap ! A lot of cheaper than I thought. I posted a price of $600 that Federated Auto Parts had in a sales flyer and yeah, I realize shops will get a discounted price from that but I didn't think it would more than 50% off (not counting the Motorcraft oil).

What's the difference between "bulk delivery" and 55-gallon drum pricing ? I'm guessing they pump oil into your facility's existing tank and you pay for however much you want to put in but the price isn't consistently cheaper than the 55-gallon pricing (which I think it normally would be).

Bulk is literally a truck with tanks full of oil like you would see delivering gas. That is how ours is delivered to our bulk tanks every 2 weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back