Engine Oil Additive to protect Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
My friend told me that some Toyota dealer is offering engine oil additive that can last 50-80k km, not sure the exact name but sounds very similar to Militec (not PTFE-based/Moly based)

Most of the people opt the package, they find the car more responsive, sounds moother and some has improved fuel mileage.

I am wondering what is the adverse effect of this additive and what brand that is never been proven causing damage to engine ?

Thank you

Sounds like an idiot tax to me...
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Sounds like an idiot tax to me...
grin2.gif

+1 A little back-end money for the dealership.

Originally Posted By: Trajan
Wouldn't this 50-80k additive get flushed with an oil change?
Oh no... It has special molecules that "soak" into the metals and provide a barrier. We could even drain out all the engine oil and pour sand/water in it and... Wait wasn't this done before?
LOL.gif

S-C-A-M-!

If you're looking for Moly look at Schaeffers #132, If you want ZDDP look at Redline Break In Oil Additive. Two companies highly respected on BITOG and two products I'd have no problem using. No off the wall claims either.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Originally Posted By: Trajan
Wouldn't this 50-80k additive get flushed with an oil change?
Oh no... It has special molecules that "soak" into the metals and provide a barrier. We could even drain out all the engine oil and pour sand/water in it and... Wait wasn't this done before?
LOL.gif

S-C-A-M-!

Great!! Next time I go to Atlantic City, I'll fill some buckets with sand!!!
grin2.gif

Look up Dura-Lube, I'm sure it's quite similar to their "Metal soaking, unbeatable, revolutionary, world changing, we should all be using it for the greater good of man kinds, product"

LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: Johnny
A fully formulated engine oil has all the additives you need.

Really? I thought SM rated oil dropped the level of ZDDP compared to SL rated oils. A good additive could make up that difference.

As I understand it, every new standard developed puts a greater demand for performance and protection on the oil than the previous generation. EG: SM from SL. It's some peoples opinion that more ZDDP offers better protection and so they want to stick with the old standard or use some fancy snakeoil additive to achieve this.

It's only a handful of situations where more ZDDP is needed to extend the service life of certian components.

Modern engine today wouldn't notice the difference between SL & SM oil. Your emission system would if you have a consumption issue. Thus they have lowered the ZDDP.

Let the ones who truly need the ZDDP add it, and the ones that don't have healthier emission systems for cleaner air.

Aside from Flat Tappet cams there is no real need for the "old" level of ZDDP to be in todays very robust oils that are rated SM.

wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back