Engine noise increasing during oil change interval?

Ignatius, what did you see in the opened Fram 9688 that made you say it was very bad?

Just to follow up I ended up putting a bottle of Royal Purple Max Atomizer in my gas tank after filling up and shortly thereafter the problem went away. I am about 1000 miles into my current OCI so we'll see how things progress from here.

Just to follow up I ended up putting a bottle of Royal Purple Max Atomizer in my gas tank after filling up and shortly thereafter the problem went away. I am about 1000 miles into my current OCI so we'll see how things progress from here.
So that’s a PEA based fuel injector cleaner ?

Amazing, "Decreases engine noise during oil change interval" isn't even one of their claimed improvements.

FWIW Hyundai recommends using a fuel injector cleaner with their GDI engines, they recommend Techron by name. I recently had a check engine light with code P0326 which is for the knock sensor. I had a coupon at AAP that brought the price of RP Max Atomizer down to $3 for a bottle and it seems to have fixed the check engine light and quieted the engine down substantially.

So one one hand the engine can become noisy unless/until you use a good fuel injector cleaner, on the other hand it can become noisy as time and miles add up during an OCI. It seems my engine is guilty of both.

Ah I see, it doesn’t have anything to do with the oil nor the OCI as such?

The problem might rear its head again, I don't know but I am one among many who have reported an increase in engine noise and roughness as an OCI goes on with one of these engines. One temporary solution is to simply change the oil, another may be to use injector cleaner. No one seems to have figured out any cause from the motor oil perspective and all I can surmise is a gradual buildup of carbon soot in the oil from direct injection blowby.

Back