Engine mount

Well, the garage knows a lot more about your car than I do, perhaps they’re right in being worried about the rust. That’ll kill it for certain when it gets bad enough.
That worries me, I've been under it, but not with the luxury of a lift of course. I don't think it looks bad, outside of the fuel system, but I haven't crawled everywhere.

What is the car realistically worth? $2000. 00 to get a few years of use may be worth it but then maybe not.
That's basically it, it probably is worth that, to me, get 2 more years out of it, then move on. It's just getting over the hurdle of doing so, one worries about "the next thing to go".

KBB says $2,200-$3,300 trade-in, $3,700-$5,200 private sale. I think it qualifies as "good" condition (not in my book but according to most, who never look under a car).

NADA says $3,200-$4,700 trade-in, $7,400 retail (?!?).

So (waves hands) $3k value in today's market? Engine mounts aren't that expensive, OEM is around $140 (times 3), quick struts are $100 per corner. So only a grand in work if I keep it to that.

Just jacked it up a bit and I'm not sure what the garage is seeing. It's just to the point now where the factory undercoating is coming off, and it's only in spots that the rust comes off in big flakes. [I didn't undercoat for the first few years, but the last 5 or so I've been trying to keep Fluid Film on it.] Around the wheel wells is definitely starting to go, I painted one section to try to slow it down a bit.

Other than the rear crossmember losing a small spot I don't think it's that bad--it's going to get worse, and probably crazy fast, but still, just not sure what they see.
camry1.jpg

camry3.jpg

That's only a millimeter or so missing, looks like a chip gone.

Exhaust is looking a bit worrying, I know they all rust, but I'm afraid to touch it too much!
camry2.jpg

Compared to the rust you had on the VW, I think you'll have no problem taking this one far past the 314k you got out of that one.

Compared to the rust you had on the VW, I think you'll have no problem taking this one far past the 314k you got out of that one.
Other than the cosmetic rust on the VW (hood, fenders, hatch), I think the VW may have been in better shape at this age. Underneath that is.

Ironically I find myself thinking about the VW again. I miss having a station wagon, and I just about convinced myself into selling my big trailer sometime this spring.

Other than the cosmetic rust on the VW (hood, fenders, hatch), I think the VW may have been in better shape at this age. Underneath that is.

Ironically I find myself thinking about the VW again. I miss having a station wagon, and I just about convinced myself into selling my big trailer sometime this spring.
I think you need a Ford Maverick hybrid with a roll up bed! Can tow 2k pounds.

I think you need a Ford Maverick hybrid with a roll up bed! Can tow 2k pounds.
Would be nice, can’t quite justify it, and at the moment it goes against some financial goals that i’m trying to set up for the new year. Few grand for a used car I could (ha!) but not so much new.

Had some time to kill yesterday, didn't realize I took a pic of the hole in the fender. JB Weld to the rescue, just enough to seal stuff up, as you might guess, the metal is pretty thin around this.

camryrust1.jpg

camryrust2.jpg

camryrust3.jpg

Back