Engine Idled for 3 hours!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My mom left the keys in the ignition so the car idled in a parking lot for 3 hours. Think any damage was done to the engine or should I change out the oil?

Where did you get the idea that the engine was or could be damaged out of curiosity? No harm was done to the engine. Change the oil ? when was the last oil change ?

We have a member here, who posts about a 96 Jeep Cherokee, that was used as a supervisor's vehicle for a utility company in the northeastern US.

It idled for hours, at job sites, with the flashing yellow lights on, and made over 200K miles on the odometer before it was retired from service.

Frequent idling puts the oil change interval into the severe service category, but is not harmful, in the short term, to the engine.

A 3 hour idle vs. a 3 hour drive is much worse for the emissions system, but not terribly hard on the engine. I've seen many Pontiacs come into the shop with plugged cats from extended idle time in severely cold temps. Carbon builds up inside cats that aren't running at normal operating temps.

I've seen police cars idle for 7-9 hours at a time. Never move.

And they still run 90+ MPH when needed, on MC 5W20.

Quote:

I've seen many Pontiacs come into the shop with plugged cats from extended idle time in severely cold temps.

Do you remember if they had heated O2 sensors? I've read that non-heated O2 sensors can cool down too much at idle which causes the computer to richen the mixture. I suppose this could result in cat problems.

I have no idea. If it helps, most of them were the 2.0 in the Sunbird and LeMans. I remember a Toronado coming in for the same problem as well. That was a 3800.

I have a '94 Grand Prix that my wife locked the keys in the car with it running and it sat for a few hours once idling in a blizzard. That was back in 1995 and I still drive it today with 203,000 miles on it. I wouldn't worry at all based on what other people have said and my own experience.

Quote:

I've seen police cars idle for 7-9 hours at a time. Never move.

They stay at coffee shops that long?
laugh.gif

Scrier,
Just wondering, I saw that your location is in Ga. Does your mom work at Coca Cola? I reported a car was left running in the parking lot a couple of months ago. Something you don't see everyday.

I wouldn't worry. Like someone said, police cars/municipal trucks idle most of the day, day-in day-out. A one-time 3 hour idle won't likely impact anything.

I let my car idle 1/2 hour by accident while getting lunch the other day. Long story, won't happen again.

Quote:

My mom left the keys in the ignition so the car idled in a parking lot for 3 hours. Think any damage was done to the engine or should I change out the oil?

Only 3 hours???

Hahahaha!!!

My cop car sometimes idles for 8 hours or longer at a crack. It's been that way for the past 14 years I've been a cop and I've never once had a cop car leave me stranded on the side of the road.

Although I *did* blow up a transmission during a pursuit several years ago. I was driving one of those old box-style Caprices, and while I was out of the pursuit, I was still able to limp it 15 miles to the maintenance facility.

I don't think you or your mom has much to be worried about!

scrier:

Listen now, AstroVic is Texas law enforcement. Don't even think about disagreeing with him -- unless your idea of fun is getting up close and personal with a rechargeable Maglite!
wink.gif
tongue.gif

Seriously, no, this won't be a problem. If idling really bothers you, get a Toyota hybrid! Once it's warmed up, it just won't idle at all (unless the traction battery is low). Once you stop, all goes quiet, until you step on the gas, when it suddenly springs back to life.
cheers.gif

p.s. All in good fun, right Astro???
bowdown2.gif

Thanks guys - you are making me feel better. I thought that since the car was not moving for 3 hours with the engine running, there was no air movement over the engine to help dissipate heat. I know the cooling system is supposed to take care of that but I wasn't sure if cooling systems could cool an engine that idles but doesn't move at all for 3 hours.

Drivewaytech - my mom does not work at Coke so it must have been somone else

Astrovic - thanks for all you do. I know law enforcement can be a thankless job

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back