engine detailing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is using a tire foam or other type of protectant on the engine hoses and wiring connectors a good idea to help keep them from drying out and becoming brittle??
This is a big problem out in the desert on vehicles after a few years of the intense heat. I know hoses can be easily replaced, but those **** wiring connectors get so brittle in older vehicles I am afraid to even touch them times.

I probably wouldn't use tire foam, but some sort of vinyl/rubber protectant will do perfectly. Go with a quailty protectant and you'll be fine.

Stay away from the protectants that are clear or oil based (go for milky, water based ones). The clear ones contain the 'bad' silicone, fwiw.

ferb!

edit: for correctness

[ November 30, 2003, 11:21 PM: Message edited by: Ferb ]

I've used 303 underhood after engine cleaning for a few years. Looks great, holds up well, repels dirt and my hoses/connectors/wiring look brand new. I don't live in the enviroment that you do yet (movin to Sin City next year
smile.gif
) but here in weather wacky VA, seems to be doing quite well.

I've wanted to try 303, but it seems cost prohibitive. I really like this 3M Protect that i got at Big Lots for 1 dollar a bottle.

ferb!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back