Employment quiz- would you have gotten this sample question correct?

So......I'm not sure what is even happening here.

It just makes me glad I work alone and do my own thing.

Client: can you build or fix X?
Me: YES or NO

quote-by GON
I think I will die sooner than if I not retire.....

I will never ever understand a statement like this.....
If I understand Gon's statement correct - some of us have careers that provide MUCH more than just a paycheck. It provides social interaction with others. It provides challenges to keep the mind sharp and physical activity to keep the body toned. It provides rewards way beyond simply money. It provides gratification for the work accomplished, i.e., think of Mother Teresa. It provides an outlet other than being with your loved ones 24/7 (really, think about it). A passionate career can co-exist with family, friends, and hobbies/interests. You can get these things in retirement too, but you have no income, and why wait if you can enjoy them your entire life? 40 +/- hours a week is too long for something you are miserable with. I could never understand how a great salary could over-ride a satisfying, fulfilling lifestyle. Money does not buy happiness.

I will never understand the opposite of your implication: How does a person choose and stay in a career that they hate so much that their ongoing goal is "the day they get to retire from their bad situation". I am content and have few regrets that 50 years ago I chose the road much less traveled.

Also, working for oneself or owning a business (mentioned by a few) is no easy piece of cake either.

Last edited:
I went indeterminable. The relationship is unclear. Nothing says that Ms. Oliver is in the group that the new schedule would apply to. At any rate, they should all be less productive and go to a 5 day WFH routine.
Incorrect. The question explicitly ties the new schedule to Ms. Oliver by saying, "the new schedule calls for Ms. Oliver's work hours to be 8:30am..."

in real life work day and work hours can be different. Quite a lot of time the employee will do off the clock work prior or after the scheduled work hours, especially for small businesses or when exempt.

If I understand Gon's statement correct - some of us have careers that provide MUCH more than just a paycheck. It provides social interaction with others. It provides challenges to keep the mind sharp and physical activity to keep the body toned. It provides rewards way beyond simply money. It provides gratification for the work accomplished, i.e., think of Mother Teresa. It provides an outlet other than being with your loved ones 24/7 (really, think about it). A passionate career can co-exist with family, friends, and hobbies/interests. You can get these things in retirement too, but you have no income, and why wait if you can enjoy them your entire life? 40 +/- hours a week is too long for something you are miserable with. I could never understand how a great salary could over-ride a satisfying, fulfilling lifestyle. Money does not buy happiness.

I will never understand the opposite of your implication: How does a person choose and stay in a career that they hate so much that their ongoing goal is "the day they get to retire from their bad situation". I am content and have few regrets that 50 years ago I chose the road much less traveled.

Also, working for oneself or owning a business (mentioned by a few) is no easy piece of cake either.
Conversely-I have never heard anyone near death say "I wish I would have worked more".........

One can have enough money in retirement if one plans correctly. Working because you "have to" is a valid excuse-because you didn't plan accordingly.
Everything I have seen from GON indicates that's not the case.

If Mr. Brown receives his supervisor's approval, the new work schedule goes into effect immediately. The new schedule calls for Ms. Oliver's work hours to be 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Ms. Oliver's workday begins at 8:00 a.m.
Conclusion:Mr. Brown has not yet obtained his supervisor's approval.

Ms. Oliver's "current" workday begins at 8:00AM.

If Mr. Brown's supervisor approves AND if Ms. Oliver is actually in Mr. Brown's work group (not explicitly stated if this is the actual case), then Ms. Oliver's workday would change to begin at 8:30AM.

If Ms. Oliver is NOT in Mr. Brown's work group, then her workday would continue to begin at 8:00AM.

The original question requires more than one answer so in my view, the original question falls into the "cum hoc ergo propter hoc" fallacy.

Last edited:
Conversely-I have never heard anyone near death say "I wish I would have worked more".........

One can have enough money in retirement if one plans correctly. Working because you "have to" is a valid excuse-because you didn't plan accordingly.
Everything I have seen from GON indicates that's not the case.
Yea, that quote is as worthless as the one that states "if you love your job, you'll never work a day in your life". Don't confuse work vs. career. I'm quite sure there are plenty of people facing death that wished they could have pursued their passions many more years.

I don't think you grasp the concept that a career can be so rewarding and satisfying that it is simply a lifestyle choice. I know farmers that are passionate about their lifestyle and flourish working until they physically cannot. Don't confuse my stance with someone who is married to a miserable job at the expense of every other life aspect (family, friends, spiritual). My doctor (age 72) says he sees lots of men wither and die after retiring because they didn't adjust to the lifestyle changes. Of course there is the vice versa - a guy works his nose to the grindstone unhappily until age 67, then dies 6 months into retirement (he should have lived EVERY day fully, even during work).

I understand where you are coming from, but wouldn't it be a shame if James Taylor quit performing only because he reached retirement age of 67?

Forgive me oh mighty Gon for going off topic. Your OP is a brain teaser, for sure.

Last edited:

When I was 21, I read 2 books, in preparation of starting my career.

1. Do what you want, the money will follow.

2. What color is your parachute?

I thought this is all fine and dandy but I have serious doubts…

P.s. the first book is available on Amazon for $1.03. The $3.98 shipping is a deal breaker. Surprisingly, the second book is still published and $15.

• Helpful
Reactions: GON
Happy I am out of the job market and retired. Don't have to take tests anymore.

My tests come from the DR's and nurses. They will ask me what year this is, what day and my Birthday.
They only want to know if I have lost my mind yet!;) Ha Ha!

• Haha
The people who issue these sorts of tests are the absolute worst to work with and/ or for.

I worked with a guy like this in a previous life. No thanks.

The people who issue these sorts of tests are the absolute worst to work with and/ or for.

I worked with a guy like this in a previous life. No thanks.
Yeah if you get something like that wrong you are a failure at life, but if you stand up for what is right and stick with real hard facts you are a hard line loser.

This from a culture that said there are no real failures and we all should get along.

Dystopian Two Step with a side of lizzid people.

Dude. Read all my posts. You’re reading me way wrong.
Yeah check out a recent veritasium video. Apparently the SAT had a question that was wrong and several students brought it to the attention of SAT employees. That's really bad.
"Does the candidate know how to perform the tasks of the job?" "No, but he passed the assessment!" "Great, give him an offer!" -Corporate
This is bad for the people who would be a great fit but aren't necessarily great test takers

If Mr. Brown receives his supervisor's approval, the new work schedule goes into effect immediately. The new schedule calls for Ms. Oliver's work hours to be 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Ms. Oliver's workday begins at 8:00 a.m.
Conclusion:Mr. Brown has not yet obtained his supervisor's approval.

Ms. Oliver's "current" workday begins at 8:00AM.

If Mr. Brown's supervisor approves AND if Ms. Oliver is actually in Mr. Brown's work group (not explicitly stated if this is the actual case), then Ms. Oliver's workday would change to begin at 8:30AM.

If Ms. Oliver is NOT in Mr. Brown's work group, then her workday would continue to begin at 8:00AM.

The original question requires more than one answer so in my view, the original question falls into the "cum hoc ergo propter hoc" fallacy.

Does the relationship to Oliver and Brown matter here where (then) the new schedule applies to Oliver only "If"

It states "the" new work schedule, not "a" new work schedule explicitly some how ties brown to Oliver, no?

I suppose "begins" implies "currently", as a use of "began" would be in the past tense opening the indeterminant door.

Letting one's imagination and possibilities run rampant - but still being feasible, Mr. Brown, having a supervisor, may actually be part of Ms. Olivers work group as a co-worker, and possibly he requested starting for him to start at 8:00 a.m., trading with Ms. Brown as she is sending her child to Kindergarten now and cannot make it to work until 8:30 a.m. Eight O'clock could be the standard work start time and we are being showed requested exceptions to one's clock in time.

I say this, regarding Mr. Olivers position, as in any of the handful of manufacturing co. I have worked at, supervisors always report to an assistant manager - or higher - not another supervisor.

I again despise poorly worded trick or gotcha logic questions; a game of fiendish minds I say!

I can understand the exercise. At a previous job, I had to hand-write a letter to one of the owners expressing my interest in the position and company.

I was told what he was looking for was the ability to write coherent sentences, spelling and original thoughts. He turned out to be a mammoth AH, but I respected the request.

I would do the same, but I would most likely adjust the pay rate - higher for higher performers of the testing, lower or rescind any offers for poor performers.
HD,

Thanks for sharing the story. Recently I applied for a job that required I solve six problems, in five pages or less per problem. As was your situation, the six five page papers were looking for numerous things, from critical thinking to Grammer/ability to write.

I completed the six papers, but didn't put a great effort into the tasks. I didn't think they would hire me, even if I nailed the papers.

HD,

Thanks for sharing the story. Recently I applied for a job that required I solve six problems, in five pages or less per problem. As was your situation, the six five page papers were looking for numerous things, from critical thinking to Grammer/ability to write.

I completed the six papers, but didn't put a great effort into the tasks. I didn't think they would hire me, even if I nailed the papers.
Grammar

Blaine hired a guy from the county Sheriff office

When I see products like this, I can't help but think of the book called something like "the three hour work week".

Someone puts out ome product like this. Sells it to a corporation in a subscription basis, maybe one dollar per test taker. Person that designed and sold the product generated income 24x7 without much effort.

Of course, more likely than not there was a sales pitch full of dog dodo to sell the product and all its mastery at getting the right candidate. When actually it was like a college professor teaching business, but couldn't run a business if their life dependent on it

Back