Employer Exit Interview.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've only quit a few jobs. But always take the exit interview. First job I quit was to get a job closer to home. Two others I left because of my supervisor. I worked 20 years under one a s s hat and swore I will never subject myself to that again. Both places had invested quite a bit in training for me and I figured they should know exactly why I was leaving.

It is best to not complain. You may find that the grass is not greener where you are going. That once happened to me. My old job hired me back after l left with a nice bump in salary.
If you complain, nothing to help you will result.

The only time l think it is good to unload during an exit interview is when retiring.

I've had more jobs than most, never heard of an ''exit interview'', and never had one. But never burned a bridge, only a couple that wouldn't have taken me back on the next day.

My last one I really had to go on the offensive a bit because they were making my whole team "automatically" redundant due to the loss of a site support contract.

My contract (from maybe 6-7 years previously) stated that my employment was contingent on the continuation of the site support, so that was a done deal, but, having seen the writing on the wall, I'd told new hires to the team not to sign such a contract, and they'd got it changed. (This probably did not endear me to management)

HR had conveniently forgotten this and had made a number of other procedural errors.

Was quite fun. Felt like Perry Mason. The other two guys (one left) went into the general "Selektion" process (big simultaneous redundancies elswhere in the company), and one of them got kept on.

I see a bunch of sheep in this thread. You all can engrave "never burned a bridge" on your tombstones.

Like being meek is something to be proud of.

I've never had any new employer get a reference on me from an HR department. Your reference is someone you have a good relationship with in the company. Doesn't even really have to be your supervisor. They often don't work there anymore either.

People worry too much.

Going to an exit interview and telling them things they don't want to hear, can potentially make things better for people you care about in the company. Ever think about that?

Last edited:
I don't see leaving with a handshake as being meek, although being told you are to shout a box of beer and then actually doing what you were told might be. I've had ding dong shouting matches with employers, and yet still left on good terms. I'm currently working across the road from my old workplace, we wave to each other, the boys come over to borrow my tools, my old boss and I were talking about life the other day. They got rid of me because I wasn't making any money for them...and I took my customers over the road with me - but it's nothing for either side to get upset about, it's just life, and we all get on with our part in it.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
I've never had any new employer get a reference on me from an HR department. Your reference is someone you have a good relationship with in the company. Doesn't even really have to be your supervisor. They often don't work there anymore either.

People worry too much.

Going to an exit interview and telling them things they don't want to hear, can potentially make things better for people you care about in the company. Ever think about that?

Lots of industries, it’s your reputation and connections that will open doors of opportunities.

Why burn down your references?

I left my last job because the industry as a whole is in trouble. The (new) owner was a real troll who laid someone off by telling him to his face that he wasn't worth half of his (former) salary. When I caught wind of this sub-human treatment it definitely sped up my job search. Now I make over 40% more, two years later. Everybody, and I mean everybody, who left this operation either by choice or not, immediately did better for themselves.

I was not offered an exit interview but if I were I would have kept it generic, as I did when I gave my 2 weeks' notice. It came as a legitimate surprise to management who was used to just firing people when they used them up.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice

People worry too much.

Lots of industries, it’s your reputation and connections that will open doors of opportunities.

Why burn down your references?

I don't remember ever being asked for references. I've provided them a few times without being asked.

The interviews I've been on are intense and elaborate.

Schlumberger had me work with them for 3-4 days.
Woodward had a few hours of very intense mechanical aptitude tests.
SEL made me do an hour presentation.
Snohomish put together a very stressful problem solving scenario with the whole management team firing questions and yelling at me.

Others have been invite back and have enough questions and tests for them to know if I know what I'm doing.

They couldn't care less about references.

Really? You're trying to create some sort of farce that you're happy as a clam and you left anyway. Who believes that? I'm so tired of dishonest people. Oh they loved me so much. Blah blah. Then why did you leave?

It goes to transparency, honesty and integrity. Some people don't want to hire lap dogs.

Last edited:
Yes.

And in 30+ years of working, I've never seen an employer take employee suggestions, whether from exit interviews, 1:1 meetings, "morale boosting/problem solving" meetings, or pretty much from any input, to heart and actually act upon them.

Ever.

It's called picking the hill you want to die on, and, at least in my case, the coworkers I care about left before I did so I don't feel obligated to take the bullet for people whom I don't care about.

Thanks,

I'm going to my third interview for a prospective company this coming week.

All signs point to very good, as I meet with the upper brass.

I feel like I've been running the gauntlet, made the 90 minute drive one way several times in the past few weeks.

As an insurance policy I have secured a backup position, and I meet with the hiring manager on Friday. Already went through two recruiters.

As a secondary insurance policy the local county has called me to interview for two positions.

Once I get a written offer, I will conduct myself with class at the exit interview, and only speak fondly about the company and what I have learned.

My reason for leaving will be following my wife and her wonderful opportunity.

Originally Posted By: opus1
Yes.

And in 30+ years of working, I've never seen an employer take employee suggestions, whether from exit interviews, 1:1 meetings, "morale boosting/problem solving" meetings, or pretty much from any input, to heart and actually act upon them.

Ever.

It's called picking the hill you want to die on, and, at least in my case, the coworkers I care about left before I did so I don't feel obligated to take the bullet for people whom I don't care about.

This brings to mind a costly "cultural assessment" conducted at my workplace a few years ago.
All of the concerns expressed by staff were either downplayed or ignored and the few superficial recommendations that were to be put in place were quickly forgotten.
Many employers seem unaware that a happy workforce who enjoy their work environment is a productive workforce willing to show great personal initiative and a willingness to go above and beyond to get things done while a workforce with poor morale will merely go through the motions.
Management plays the primary role in determining the culture and that culture is primary in ensuring staff productivity. Management by threat may seem to bring positive results, but it really brings minimum adherence to performance requirements and even the high potential achievers end up beaten down to the mean.
If there are no rewards of any kind for showing initiative, then the willingness of staff to show it is quickly extinguished, especially since that above and beyond initiative may become the new normal expected level of performance for any staff member.

Toxic leadership and management drives away high quality employees.

This type of environment is usually integral to the organizational culture and isn't limited to any individual manager. This type of culture is often billed as high-achieving, goal-oriented and fully accountable even though the reality is that these organizations run on fear among all of the staff below senior levels of management.
Many of the better employees do indeed bail and nobody sees the problem until it's too late.
The effects are often only seen years down the road when things can no longer be papered over.
I'm thinking of a few enterprises in particular.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Toxic leadership and management drives away high quality employees.

This type of environment is usually integral to the organizational culture and isn't limited to any individual manager. This type of culture is often billed as high-achieving, goal-oriented and fully accountable even though the reality is that these organizations run on fear among all of the staff below senior levels of management.
Many of the better employees do indeed bail and nobody sees the problem until it's too late.
The effects are often only seen years down the road when things can no longer be papered over.
I'm thinking of a few enterprises in particular.
We only hire YES Men!!!

Originally Posted By: opus1

Ever.

Just asking, do you know for certainty that has NEVER happend, at all? You make a very broad statement, and I have to believe it would be very difficult for you to know every suggestion or constructive criticism voiced in every single exit interview, ever.

On my exit interview from my previous job, I was honest and told them exactly how I felt (respectively). Our engineering manager and president of the company was running the place into the ground… Needless to say, I was only one of a few who left within a few months. GOOD people, too. Engineers, shop guys and even managers bouncing out.

On my last day, found out our President was fired by corporate in France due to business direction, employee loss and low morale, etc… Our HR lady (who was my buddy) was hoping I’d stay once I found that out, but I wasn’t interested. For one, they wouldn’t match my offer at the new place and I still disliked our engineering director. Plus, it would take time for them to rebound from the President being fired. Seven months later, still no replacement President (they brought back retired one in interim).

I left on good terms and they would welcome me back, so I didn’t burn any bridges or anything. I was a great asset to that company, but they just couldn’t afford to pay people what they deserve and the doom and gloom direction was just getting old.

With the new job, got a 20% bump and just got a raise (3%) after only six months. My old job? Yet again, they were told no raises due to low sales and not hitting their target. Same story year after year. I would be making nearly 25% less there if I didn’t leave and not be with a new company that has their stuff together, making money, growing and doing some really, really cool stuff…

My vote though, is just be honest but respectful. Don’t bash particular people, but generalize issues. Supposedly from all the exit interviews at my place, is why our main base in France finally had notice of what was going on at our facility and they made the changes they did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back